Cross slide Brg mod & new dial.
My Emco compact5 lathe cross slide was getting a bit sloppy and the plastic dial is small and difficult to read. The end plate with the bearing was simple to make, the dial however had a few challenges. I have no dividing head, only a spin indexer. 100 graduations is impossible. After searching around the shop for some time I spotted the dial on my surface grinder, a quick adaptor to hold the wheel and a 6 inch scale provided me with the capability of scribing my graduations. I still have some fitting to do but this be completed in a few days.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

claudef, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:
Very creative way of finding a way to get the 100 graduations! Well done.
Thanks given by:
Thats one of the best things on the forum seeing how people McGiver around challenges ant to hell with Murphy. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
hi a job well dun i have to do that to two of my dills on my compact 8
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments, I will post the finished product soon.
The original intention was to scribe 50 graduations but after mounting the wheel and scribing 3 lines I noticed (forgot) that the grinder dial was graduated in .0005. This committed me to 100 graduations. I am pleased with the outcome, now for the numbering.
Claude
Thanks given by:
The bearing mod is as smoth as silk.. The new dial is great, I just need to take it apart one more time to clean and deburr and we are finished. Now I need to get back and finish my QCTP.
Claude

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Claude,
That turned out very well Smiley-signs107
Looks great Worthy
Took a lot of time and patience to do 100 divisions - well done, no mean task Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Great job Claude, I wouldn't have believed you didn't have a rotab, but then you obviously don't need one.Thumbsup
I also don't believe silk is smoth.Rotfl
Did you do the scribing (?) on your drill/mill? If so how's that working out for you.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Very nice Claude. How did you do the numbers? They look far too good to be stamped.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Stevec.. rotab would definitely be overkill for me. Except on days where I want to make a dial, the method I used however was faster than 3 deg. 36 minutes 100 times.
Yes the graduations were done on my Drill/Mill.. I am happy with the performance, the rigidity of the machine all good except for the spindle... if I was closer to your I would contemplate modifications.
I am completing a QCTP that was milled on it, I will Post pictures soon.

F350ca.... The numbers are stamped, simple setup on angle plate with guide for punches. The trick is to take a very small skim cut on the OD of the dial after the stamping.
Thanks given by: