MetalworkingFun Forum
Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. (/thread-732.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - claudef - 08-17-2012

My Emco compact5 lathe cross slide was getting a bit sloppy and the plastic dial is small and difficult to read. The end plate with the bearing was simple to make, the dial however had a few challenges. I have no dividing head, only a spin indexer. 100 graduations is impossible. After searching around the shop for some time I spotted the dial on my surface grinder, a quick adaptor to hold the wheel and a 6 inch scale provided me with the capability of scribing my graduations. I still have some fitting to do but this be completed in a few days.

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - PixMan - 08-17-2012

Very creative way of finding a way to get the 100 graduations! Well done.

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - TOM REED - 08-17-2012

Thats one of the best things on the forum seeing how people McGiver around challenges ant to hell with Murphy. tom

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - krv3000 - 08-18-2012

hi a job well dun i have to do that to two of my dills on my compact 8

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - claudef - 08-18-2012

Thanks for the comments, I will post the finished product soon.
The original intention was to scribe 50 graduations but after mounting the wheel and scribing 3 lines I noticed (forgot) that the grinder dial was graduated in .0005. This committed me to 100 graduations. I am pleased with the outcome, now for the numbering.
Claude

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - claudef - 08-18-2012

The bearing mod is as smoth as silk.. The new dial is great, I just need to take it apart one more time to clean and deburr and we are finished. Now I need to get back and finish my QCTP.
Claude

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - DaveH - 08-18-2012

Claude,
That turned out very well Smiley-signs107
Looks great Worthy
Took a lot of time and patience to do 100 divisions - well done, no mean task Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - stevec - 08-18-2012

Great job Claude, I wouldn't have believed you didn't have a rotab, but then you obviously don't need one.Thumbsup
I also don't believe silk is smoth.Rotfl
Did you do the scribing (?) on your drill/mill? If so how's that working out for you.

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - f350ca - 08-18-2012

Very nice Claude. How did you do the numbers? They look far too good to be stamped.

RE: Cross slide Brg mod & new dial. - claudef - 08-19-2012

Stevec.. rotab would definitely be overkill for me. Except on days where I want to make a dial, the method I used however was faster than 3 deg. 36 minutes 100 times.
Yes the graduations were done on my Drill/Mill.. I am happy with the performance, the rigidity of the machine all good except for the spindle... if I was closer to your I would contemplate modifications.
I am completing a QCTP that was milled on it, I will Post pictures soon.

F350ca.... The numbers are stamped, simple setup on angle plate with guide for punches. The trick is to take a very small skim cut on the OD of the dial after the stamping.