Accessories & Tools Advice
Hello guys,

Got an email yesterday from Germany that the forwarder picked up the crate yesterday. My mind started to think of what do I need that I don't have to use with it as I bought the machine bare, unlike the Proxxon Lathe.

First off, the vice. Any advise on this? Table measures 450 x 180mm with 3 slots of 12mm each. I've a small screwless vice on my sherline that seems too small for this. I wish to have a vice that has steps in them for holding thin parts without parallels. Best are those that pull down without lift when tightening. If you can point me to some pics and sites, I'll try to source locally first before venturing overseas again. Shipping cost can be used for another piece of equipment or tools...

The mill will come with MT2 in the spindle. Should I be getting the ER32 MT2 chuck or should I go with the smaller ER25? I've a set of ER16 and ER32 collets in shop. Or should I just get a set of MT2 collets since tool shanks don't vary as much as stock diameter (as compared to its use on the lathe to hold stock than tool).

That's all for now as I've a flight to catch. Team trip to Taipei for 4 days.

Thanks in advance for all your advice. No holding back please... Rotfl

Regards,
Wong
Wongster
http://www.wongstersproduction.com

Proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:
Wongster, I used MT3 collets with my mill drill for many years. I have a concern about putting a toolholding device (i.e. MT 2 (3) taper) into a machine in order to drive/hold another toolhoding device (ER32).
Do the ER32 offer larger capacity than the MT2 collets?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hello Steve,

I'm not sure. I bought the ER32 for the lathe to hold round stock. It can hold upto 20mm diameter. I think I'll just go with MT2 collets do that I don't have too much hanging out of the spindle.

What do you folks think?

Regards,
Wong
Wongster

Thanks given by:
That should work. My first mill had a MT2 spindle and I used MT2 collets and it worked fine. You're not going to do any serious hogging with that small of a MT spindle so as long as you work within its limits it will work fine.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I believe the MT2 collets only go up to 1/2" (or maybe 13mm if your working in metric) but, as Ed said you should limit yourself to that size end mill on a machine with a MT2 spindle.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I just bought a set of step clamps today. 12mm with M10 threads. Rather expensive, as compared to those over at Arc Euro. About double the price sold at Arc Euro, excluding shipping. Brand is Matchling, a Taiwanese. I've the screwless vise of the same brand, which I really like.

[Image: Matchling52-pcSteelClampingKit.jpg]

Wanted to buy a vise also. The smallest the shop has is a hydraulic machine vise (see pic below as highlighted in yellow) which seem too big for the table (450mm x 180mm). This one came recommended by the shop. Not cheap, about GBP300 after tax.

[Image: MatchlingHydraulicMachineVise35050.jpg]

Need some advise whether this is a suitable vise or is there others I should look at.

I should be receiving the mill this coming saturday. The logistic company wanted to deliver today but there isn't anyone at home during weekdays and I want to be around to welcome the new family member.

Thank you.

Regards,
Wong
Wongster

Thanks given by:
Hi Wong,

Nice clamping kit, similar to the ones I have only mine are CCC.

The vice, that is one super duper vice, certainly near the top as vices go, top quality vice, although it is expensive.
I'm also wondering if the overall length isn't a bit on the "long side" for your mill. There are some good screw vices about, may be you can save a bit of money. Don't rush it. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hello Dave,

What's a "CCC"?

I'm wondering what size I should be looking at to narrow my search. Also, should I be getting those with swivel base?

Regards,
Wong
Wongster

Thanks given by:
You are missing something. All this stuff is neat but you haven't seen the mill yet. Some may work, some may not. The manufacturer may have reccomendations also. If it were me, I would be slowing down a little at this point. Just a little food for thought.

"Billy G" Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Wong,

CCC ............. Cheap, Cheerful and Chinese Thumbsup Rotfl

Slowly does it, - you don't want me to come over there RotflRotflRotfl

Do what Bill has said get your mill first - drool Drool over that first.

And don't forget the pics please ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: