Project Mini Lathe Mods
I've been working on improving my mini lathe to increase rigidity. Eliminating the compound mechanism when it's not needed is the obvious first step. Now I'm working on the cross slide assembly.

I've 3D printed parts that I want to make to be sure I get the dimensions correct since steel is pricey and I don't want to/can't afford to screw up.
I wanted the tool holder to be adjustable when using either 3/8" or 1/2" tooling. It came out perfect with enough of an adjustment range for both to work.

I got a piece of bronze to make the new gib out of. I've ordered the steel for the two other parts.

Ed

3/8" tooling check - 1/2" tooling check

Thanks given by:
Really like that you have this set up to use both sizes of tool bits.  And it really looks good.  I've been looking at OXA quick change tool posts like yours on eBay but my mini lathe came with 3 of the standard tool posts.  I'll probably just roll with those for the present.
What is your next upgrade?
JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by: EdK
(05-27-2024, 04:01 PM)JScott Wrote: What is your next upgrade?

Probably adding power feed to the lead screw at the tail stock end. It would be nice to have a finer feed than the stock lathe provides.

Ed

EDIT: Actually the next upgrade will be the cam lock for the tailstock. I've had the kit from LMS for quite some time now so it's time I made use of it.
Thanks given by:
I snagged a scrap gearmotor almost 30 years ago to do just that, after seeing it on a website.  It still sits on a shelf, as files and sandpaper are much easier.

And we know you printed those parts simply because you love to play with CAD and the printer.  Don't worry, we won't tell anyone.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(05-27-2024, 04:20 PM)EdK Wrote: And we know you printed those parts simply because you love to play with CAD and the printer.  Don't worry, we won't tell anyone.

Rotfl
Thanks given by:
I finally did some machining in my shop yesterday and today. Got the riser block finished for the AXA QCTP.
It's not actually bolted down yet since I still have to make the round piece that goes into the cross slide that the riser block will bolt to. I've got to get my lathe back together now so I can make that.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I didn't get into the shop until after lunch so not much done today. I got the disk to thickness. I had bought the disk from McMaster and it was advertised as being 1/2" thick but it was 5/8". I guess that's better than being narrower than advertised. Numerous .005" passes later I got it down to .3595. That generated a lot of swarf.
I drilled a hole in the center so it can be mounted on a mandrel for turning the OD and cutting the step in it.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Halfway there.

If you enlarge the hole to match the riser block, you can use that as a template for marking out the holes.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by: EdK
(06-03-2024, 09:10 AM)rleete Wrote: Halfway there.

If you enlarge the hole to match the riser block, you can use that as a template for marking out the holes.

I'm going to use the PLA model for marking out for the holes. That is after I've made sure the PLA model and steel riser block bolt together properly. I did buy two disks just in case I screw up the first one.  Blush

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2024, 08:50 PM)EdK Wrote: ... I had bought the disk from McMaster and it was advertised as being 1/2" thick but it was 5/8". I guess that's better than being narrower than advertised.

Ed

Better to be looking at it than looking FOR it as Keith Fenner would say.
Willie
Thanks given by: