Mill X-axis Powerfeed for G08689
I have long wanted a powerfeed for my mill, but the price has always been way out of my range.  I've watched dozens of videos on the way someone else has DIY it.  I even went so far as to buy toothed pulleys and a belt from LMS to accomplish it in a way I saw years ago.  I never ended up making that version.

Note that I am blatantly stealing ideas from a video from Phil Vandelay Building a Powerfeed for my Milling Machine (with a Wiper Motor) - YouTube His version is nice, but I still think it is more complicated than it needs to be.  I am however, using the exact same electrical parts for the controller side of things, so I won't be covering that here.  Everything was purchased on the web, and all parts are readily available and reasonably cheap.

Well, I recently dug out the wiper motor that I bought 20 years ago and modified it for easier wiring.  That has led me to actually make parts for fitting it.  It isn't finished, but I thought I'd show some progress made so far.

This is the mill table removed from the mill.  As you can see, there is a convenient slot in the end of the leadscrew, which I will use to drive it.  Many versions make some sort of hex to interface with a socket, but that seems overly complicated to me.  So, simple dog clutch will do.  Here is the table laying upside down, to take measurements:

I have already made the motor shaft, threaded onto the motor.  The brass sleeve and wood block are just there to help align everything.  The larger cylinder above that will have the pin shown pressed through at the black mark, and will act as the clutch, sliding on the motor shaft.  I heed to slot the end of the motor shaft for clearance of the pin when it is disengaged, as well as cut the clutch cylinder down to length.  

More to follow.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I also want to make a power feed for the X axis of my mill. I've watched Phil's videos before and a bunch of other ones also. I've seen ones made with wiper motors, power window motors, power seat motors and stepper motors. I'm leaning towards a power seat motor. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Really any sufficiently powerful gearmotor will work, although speed is a consideration. You don't want something so slow that it won't move the table at a decent speed for say, flycutting aluminum. I also intend to use this to return the table on longer cuts to save my arm, so a quicker motor is probably best.

I happened to get this motor because I was helping a friend make simple animatronics for a haunted garage. They were really cheap back then.
Thanks given by: EdK
What RPM is your motor?

Ed
Thanks given by:
I believe it's 65 RPM. I can't remember exactly, but once I get it wired up, I'll test it.

Edit: it's a Saturn wiper motor, made by Trico in England. It's listed as 70 RPM at 12V, 1.6A. I don't believe this particular gearmotor is readily available anymore.
I was figuring a motor at about 100RPM would work so that verifies my guesstimation.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
I look at it this way: fly cutting aluminum should be in the 4" per minute range, according to the CNC guy here. Since one turn of my dial is about .065, 70 RPM gives me 4.5 which is more than enough. The extra speed will be helpful for fast returns when milling longer parts.
Any news on this? I've got most of the electrical parts and am going to bench test it tomorrow, I mean today, it's after midnight. Blink

Ed
Thanks given by:
Not much to add, yet. Real life got in the way.
(05-04-2023, 06:16 AM)rleete Wrote: Real life got in the way.

Always does, doesn't it? Happyyes
Willie
Thanks given by: