Cutting Holes In Sheetmatal
I need to cut some 2.5" holes in my VFD enclosure which is .067" thick steel. Any ideas as to the best way to do this? I thought of hole saws but the teeth seem way too coarse for cutting thin metal.  17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
Greenlee punches. HF has a cheapo set but the bolt seems to be made of play dough. I used another bolt with a nut and that worked. Greenlee doesn't have that problem.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure those types of punches will work with that thick of steel. I used to have a set of smaller punch and dies like that and I know they would never work with that thick of steel. But thanks for the suggestion.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I used the cheap HF punches to punch a 480v 75KVA transformer box. Not sure how thick it was.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
A Greenlee punch would have no trouble with 16 gauge sheet, electrical enclosures seam heavier than that and they cut easily.
Hard to get a smooth cut with a hole saw in thin sheet metal, if you try it take the bit out and use a piece of 1/4 rod, helps some.
2 1/2 might be easier to do with a jig saw.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
You could do that with a hand-nibbler, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Nick...nd+Nibbler
Thanks given by: EdK
(05-17-2016, 04:48 PM)f350ca Wrote: A Greenlee punch would have no trouble with 16 gauge sheet

That's good to know but that's a lot of money to spend for two holes. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-17-2016, 04:45 PM)Vinny Wrote: I used the cheap HF punches to punch a 480v 75KVA transformer box.  Not sure how thick it was.

I'll take a look at the HF version. If it can survive two holes I'll be happy since it'll never get used again.

Ed
Thanks given by:
The way I have done it is to place the part to be cut on a thick piece of wood on the floor. Then stand on it (nicely) Smile
Use an electric hand drill on the slowest rpm with a bit of cutting fluid and 'waggle' the drill in a slow circular motion. Slow and more slow.
The pitch of the teeth is fine - one tooth will travel 8'' along the metal in one revolution.

When I say the pitch of the teeth is fine, I don't mean the physical placement of the teeth is fine, I mean it will be fine to use. Big Grin 
Although the pitch may seem coarse, the application it is being used for the pitch is OK.

Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
For two holes, I would use a sabre saw or just drill a bunch of small holes around the periphery, knock it out and file to make it pretty.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK