Question on machine design
Was just on the phone with a friend who's replacing the crown and pinion in his old Case backhoe. The crown is riveted rather than bolted to the carrier. He's an automotive, as well as heavy duty mechanic, along with mill wright. Neither of us can remember seeing a differential that didn't bolt the crown in, is this common in tractors and if so why. Only reason we could come up with was, on a loader there is a lot of forward and reverse, so maybe the crown could walk on the bolt clearance. Properly riveted there should be an interference fit in the holes. Any thoughts?
Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Sorry Greg been a long time but I think the crown in my old Allis.( 60's vintage ) was bolted.
Wish I could be more help!

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Greg,

Do you know what model that Case tractor is? It might help to narrow things down a bit.

And give me a clue guys... (I'm not a tractor man) what is a "crown" exactly? Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2012, 09:52 PM)Highpower Wrote: Greg,

Do you know what model that Case tractor is? It might help to narrow things down a bit.

And give me a clue guys... (I'm not a tractor man) what is a "crown" exactly? Chin
Think its called a Construction King, can't remember the model, would guess from the 60's. When I say crown its the large gear in the differential.
Just curious why they'd use rivets.
greg
Greg
Thanks given by:
Willie,

Ring gear

Jerry.Popcorn
Thanks given by:
Greg,

If I had to guess, I'd say it had to do with patents.
The diff. is probably some one else s design so Case used rivets to avoid patent problems.

Just a guess.

Jerry. Popcorn
Thanks given by:
Thanks Jerry. Smiley-eatdrink004
That was my first guess, but wasn't sure.

Greg:

If you can get a model number you could take a look at this site to see if you can find any info on it. http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?a...d=s8251094

The password is "Discovery".

Click on the small engine repair section, and then "tractors". It's a long shot, but you might get lucky. Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
Never thought of patent issues, that could be it.
Certainly wasn't done for easy of replacement.
Herb claims an engineer caught a mechanic in bed with his wife and mechanics have been paying for it ever since.
Willie, will get the model and check it out, is that site ever a great source of info.
Thanks
Greg
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,
Just had a peek at the FANTASTIC site Willie provided us and chose the Allis-Chalmers section, because I have a few.
It appears that the AC model CA had it's ring gear riveted to the carrier also.
Ooops! Just checked my "CA" parts catalogue and it lists ring gear nuts and bolts.
Thanks for the site Willie!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,

Don't thank me -- I didn't put it there! Tongue

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: