Project Mini Lathe Mods
Any progress?
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(06-20-2024, 06:37 AM)rleete Wrote: Any progress?

Yup, I aborted milling out the saddle and instead relocated the nut mount 1" back. I'm going to test fit it all using my 3D printed parts to see if it has a chance in hell of working.

While waiting for parts to arrive I worked on the cam lock tail stock mod. Just a little bit of work left on that.

Ed

Thanks given by:
(06-04-2024, 06:04 PM)EdK Wrote: I do want to make a lantern chuck for shortening screws. I've been studying plans I found online to come up with my own design. I've wanted to make one of those for years.

Ed

I've 3D printed prototype parts for the lantern chuck. I'll verify the design tomorrow.  Cool

Ed
Thanks given by:
Clickspring has a fairly simple design that looks promising.
Thanks given by: EdK
Back on to the cross slide extension. I was getting binding of the lead screw when turning the hand-wheel and assumed it was because of the 3D printed parts. I tried modifying the 3D printed parts but no go. I then made the spacer out of aluminum and was dismayed to see that it was still binding. I had put a straight edge up to the threads on the extended lead screw and I couldn't discern any warpage. Frustrated I set the project aside for a while. Got back to it and did a few more experiments and finally concluded that the lead screw had to be bent so I set it up in the the mill vise with a v-block and I could clearly see the end wobbling. I put a dial indicator on the end and this is what I got.  Yikes

A new leadscrew is on its way. Bash

Ed

Thanks given by:
(08-25-2024, 04:46 PM)EdK Wrote: Got back to it and did a few more experiments and finally concluded that the lead screw had to be bent so I set it up in the the mill vise with a v-block and I could clearly see the end wobbling. I put a dial indicator on the end and this is what I got.  Yikes

A new leadscrew is on its way.  Bash

Ed

Got arbor press? Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yipes, that's a lot of runout!
JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2024, 05:31 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 04:46 PM)EdK Wrote: Got back to it and did a few more experiments and finally concluded that the lead screw had to be bent so I set it up in the the mill vise with a v-block and I could clearly see the end wobbling. I put a dial indicator on the end and this is what I got.  Yikes

A new leadscrew is on its way.  Bash

Ed

Got arbor press?  Chin

I thought about that but I do not have a press of any sort. Besides, it shouldn't have been bent in the first place. I bought if from LMS so no issues getting it replaced.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2024, 04:46 PM)EdK Wrote: I had put a straight edge up to the threads on the extended lead screw and I couldn't discern any warpage.  

Actual picture of Ed's straight edge:

Thanks given by:
(08-26-2024, 07:02 AM)rleete Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 04:46 PM)EdK Wrote: I had put a straight edge up to the threads on the extended lead screw and I couldn't discern any warpage.  

Actual picture of Ed's straight edge:

Close, but that's fancier than mine. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by: