MetalworkingFun Forum
Tooling-Slitter advice - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Tooling-Slitter advice (/thread-3505.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tooling-Slitter advice - pepi - 02-28-2017

Getting ready to make a spacer/bushing, needs to have a keyway. Buying the tooling what should I look for, suggestions regarding type, teeth width of slitter are welcomed information.

What I have in mind for the tooling is a keyed arbor and slitter blade. The material is alum, can the same slitter and tooth count be used on different material HSS/ALUM. General purpose diameter, what cuts best and stays sharp. Thinking a 1/16 width could be sturdy and wont hog out to big of a cut.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - rleete - 02-28-2017

Using keystock, grind an edge on it and harden. It's what I have always used, and it holds up to all but the toughest steels.

Bonus is that the key fits perfectly, because it's made from the same stock.

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - Roadracer_Al - 03-01-2017

Is the key on the inside of the bushing, or the outside. Or both?

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - pepi - 03-01-2017

The key slot will be along the length of the bushing, bushing will not be a sold circle looking from the end.

Greg

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - TomG - 03-01-2017

Greg,

Why do you need a slitting saw to cut a keyway? I normally end mill mine.  17428

Unless you are cutting an internal keyway, then you'll need a broach.

Tom

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - pepi - 03-01-2017

Tom,
I was thinking a slitter would give me a tool that could be used for other machining as well, more vestal than the end mill...

However the end mill might just be the best option cost wise. Wait until I actually need a slitter for a specific purpose Buying one now, does not mean it will work for whatever later on....... Murphy's law rule #1.

Yup end mill is it .....

Thanks,
Greg

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - TomG - 03-02-2017

(03-01-2017, 09:25 PM)pepi Wrote: Tom,
I was thinking a slitter would give me a tool that could be used for other machining as well, more vestal than the end mill...

However the end mill might just be the best option cost wise. Wait until I actually need a slitter for a specific purpose Buying one now, does not mean it will work for whatever later on....... Murphy's law rule #1.

Yup end mill is it .....

Thanks,
Greg

Just be sure to use an end mill that is smaller than the slot you need. Unlike a slitting saw, end mills will cut a slot larger than their diameter, due to flex.

Tom

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - pepi - 03-02-2017

One last general question about slitter and the arbor, what brand arbor or arbors have a keyed mount that mount the slitter pictured.

[attachment=14281]

I've found that Bridgeport R8 has this arbor, are there other manufactures, or some ArborsRus.com, link anyone care to share?

Curious as to what may be out there...for knowledge. Ordered a set of carbide end mills, set of five 1-8 mm, banggood, 19 beans...

Greg

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - Roadracer_Al - 03-02-2017

It's been ages since I bought my slitting saw arbor, but I recall that even a US-made arbor was pretty cheap. I chose a single-size (as opposed to the multi-size arbors) because I thought it would be more concentric. 1" is a pretty common size, and has served my needs well. It's a 3/4" straight shank, although I would have preferred an R8 shank.

RE: Tooling-Slitter advice - TomG - 03-02-2017

Greg,

You can make a better slitting saw arbor than you can buy. The style shown in the pic is easy to make and allows you to get very close to a ledge on a part without interfering. This type doesn't use a key and in fact, you should never use a key for a slitting saw anyway because it will shear under load. The keyed ones you see with the 1" shank are for wider cutters or gangs of cutters.

Tom

[Image: shop-made-slitting-saw-arbor-1.jpg]