MetalworkingFun Forum
its all blown up - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: its all blown up (/thread-304.html)

Pages: 1 2

its all blown up - krv3000 - 04-14-2012

HI all while on making parts for engine No 13 the forerd and revers swich went puff with a big blue flash so i need a new swich i have tride to wier the lathe up to run on just a on and off swich but with no joy so can any one help with a wiering diagram for the fowerd and revers swich and can any one give me a wiering diagram on jut to wier it up on a on off swich ther is 1 blue wier gowing to the capasitor from the moter ther is a brawn from the moter and two blacks from the moter one has a red marcer on it on the opeset side of the capasitor ther is a black with a brawn marker on it and cabeltide to that ther is a nuther black with a brawn marker on it to i no i shood of tacen lots of pics befor i dismanteld it but i did not Sadno any hellp wood be gratfuley resived
the lathe is a emco compact 8

RE: its all blown up - DaveH - 04-14-2012

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear that.

See if this is helpful http://chainganger.co.uk/Page1/PDF/Reverser.pdf
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

PS I remember Puff the magic dragon, ...... Puff with the big blue flash, must have been his bro' Cool

RE: its all blown up - EdK - 04-14-2012

Bob,

Post some pictures of what you have there and it will make it easier to give you some help.

Ed

RE: its all blown up - krv3000 - 04-17-2012

Hi all just a up date lathe is still ded i have tacen sum pics i will post them tonight

HI all well its up and runing well sort of it needs a new capasitor im still gowing to get the motor cheked out her is a pic of the wiering brawn is live so live to the cap and motor the black with the red tag on it to the blue nutrel and with a spin of the pulley its up and runing will not run bacwerds right pics

[Image: attachment.php?aid=824]

RE: its all blown up - DaveH - 04-17-2012

Bob,

So will you have to get another switch?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

yep dave but i put a swich on the frunt of the lathe stand as i did not like reching over the top of the lathe to swich it off so i will keep this swich i have priset up a new barel swich and its only £11 i will fit one ones all is back up and runing propely

RE: its all blown up - Hopefuldave - 04-17-2012

(04-17-2012, 05:15 PM)krv3000 Wrote: HI all well its up and runing well sort of it needs a new capasitor im still gowing to get the motor cheked out her is a pic of the wiering brawn is live so live to the cap and motor the black with the red tag on it to the blue nutrel and with a spin of the pulley its up and runing will not run bacwerds right pics

Hi Bob,
if you have a multimeter, it should be easy enough to wire for reverse as well (once you have a new switch!).

Assuming you have a one-capacitor motor (if it had 2 to start with, things may be different...)

Measure between the black wires, if there's a few Ohms they're the start winding, and you should see a few ohms between the other 2 (the run winding). If you see a few ohms between the pairs (so one lead to both black, other lead to blue and brown) stop now! and put up a pic of the motor terminals and any diagrams on the terminal box / motor plate!

wire your new switch so the black wires and cap'r swap over (so one each to live and neutral, then swap for reverse ) and the live and neutral go to brown and blue in both positions, should give you a reversing motor :)

If it had 2 cap's to start with, post some more pics and we can probably help - it sounds like it should have another cap if it won't start on its own?

Dave H. (the other one)

hi ther is no diagram on the motor plate

RE: its all blown up - krv3000 - 04-18-2012

hi bin in tuch with emco and the totel cost of replasing the parts is £398.40JawdropJawdropJawdrop