Cleaning Tools ...
I found a Brown and Sharpe 0-15-0 dial test indicator, a coaxial indicator and a 6 piece mitutoyo 0-6" micrometer set on Craigs List for $325. They were all in their original cases and look to be well cared for but they look like they could use a little TLC to make them look great.

Suggestion about what I should use to clean them up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arvid

.jpg   DSC00012.JPG (Size: 94.43 KB / Downloads: 138)

.jpg   DSC00014.JPG (Size: 86.46 KB / Downloads: 137)

.jpg   DSC00016.JPG (Size: 80.12 KB / Downloads: 137)

.jpg   DSC00017.JPG (Size: 85.57 KB / Downloads: 138)
Thanks given by:
From the pics I'd say there's not much to clean up. If they're functioning as they were intended I'd leave 'em as is and enjoy 'em.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: krv3000
Arvid,

They already look great to me Drool
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Arvid,

You did very well at $325. I'm jealous. Worthy

I would use some denatured alcohol to clean them, if necessary. Then I'd use some Starrett Tool and Instrument Oil on them where needed.

Nice find!

Ed
Thanks given by:
HI just my tip don't use penatrating oil on them use proper light oil on them mitutoyo have ther own brand of tool oil regards bob
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hey Bob,

You have cleaned a few up in your time, any chance you can post it for us.
SmileSmileSmile Please.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Does anyone find it odd that both Starret an Mitutoyo have their own special oils? I'd bet Brown and Sharp would have there own BS oil too.
It all sounds like snake oil to me.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Oh Steve, 'ye of little faith' Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I think it would be interesting to see how you went about cleaning some of your machines.SmileSmileSmile This "how do I deal with rust" often comes up, and through an unfortunate circumstance you may well be the right guy to ask.Smile

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Thanks given by:
I've used Starrett Tool & Instrument Oil on Mitutoyo micrometers and nothing crashed to the earth....that I know of. Do NOT oil an indicator!

That's a great bargain. The micrometer set alone is close to be worth the price all by itself, especially if they have the carbide faces, thimble lock and tenths vernier scales. The B&S indicator, depending upon model and condition, may be worth $75 to $125 in that kit.

All the way around, a great bargain. Congratulations!
Thanks given by:
HI well for my refitment of thes things i use oil that is avalibel from RS light mashen oil cums in a tin not to disimeler to a old 3 in one tin
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: