Dorian Victory QCTP
Ok so back a while ago, I was looking into the differences between the Vee Type QCTP also know as the Dickson, Dixon and even found reference to it as an Italian Tool Post although Dickson in England is usually credited with designing it. The Multifix, or 40 Position tool post and the Piston and Wedge styles made popular by Aloris and then cloned by just about everybody.

My Gosan 14x40 lathe, made in the same factory as the Colchester's in Taiwan, came with the Dickson with 4 holders. I needed more holders so debated over getting more or replacing the whole kit and kaboodle with a better QCTP.

I have not been 100% happy with the Dickson and have had holders come loose which can be a bit nerve racking to say the least.

In my yearning for a better mouse-trap so to speak, I came accross the Dorian Victory Through Cooolant set and ordered one from KBC Tools. Well over a year later and still no set, I noticed Paw Industrial had one on special, the V30TC which is the size I wanted, equivalent to a BXA or 200 series QCTP. It was just the QCTP with no holders, but at least it was a start. It arrived yesterday, and I set it up on the lathe. I have a few 201 holders from the BXA.

It locks firmly, matter of fact you can see the tool holder move down and in as you tighten the handle. The tool holders that I have all fit superbly.

I teed off the coolant just before the shut off valve on the coolant tube and added another shut off valve. I took some tubing and routed it under the DRO guard bracket and then added a swivel at the QCTP so that the tubing can be moved out of the way when needed.

It is nice to be able to aim coolant right where you are parting off or knurling. So those holders are now on the wish list.

So far I am a happy camper!

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Walter,

You forgot the best part. How much did it cost? Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2012, 07:39 PM)EdK Wrote: Walter,

You forgot the best part. How much did it cost? Big Grin

Ed

Ed

Deliberately left that out, don't want to scare anybody, LOL

KBC lists the First time buyers set with the tool post, four holders, four tool holders and 5 inserts for $1531.69, but they kept saying that it was discontinued. The tool holder by itself is $703.33. Now that price was in the catalogue last year, so I am sure it would be more if I went to order it today.

I got this one NOS for $250 USD plus shipping. Andrew Pawlus from Paw Industrial has an address in Montreal although his business is in Northern New York, and so he shipped it from Montreal.

Now to collect all the holders, first three that I want with the coolant feature are the V7-71 Extra Heavy Duty Cut-Off Blade Holder, the V881 Threading holder for both internal and external threading and the V10 Knurling holder.

Here is the link to the Dorian Website if anybody is interested in getting info on these tool posts.

Walter
Thanks given by:
I have the regular Dorian on my larger lathe, nice tool post. What are you machining that requires through tool cooling? Have seen it and wanted it for boring bars.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2012, 10:04 PM)f350ca Wrote: I have the regular Dorian on my larger lathe, nice tool post. What are you machining that requires through tool cooling? Have seen it and wanted it for boring bars.

All sorts of things, LOL

There are times that I find coolant to be an advantage when hogging lots of material as it keeps the stock from heating up as much so that dealing with thermal expansion is not so much of an issue.

Let's say we are trying to hit a diameter of 1.00" and starting with a stock that is 1.25" If you take a few deep cuts the stock is too hot to get an accurate reading and you have to wait for it to cool down. With coolant, the stock is cool enough that you can measure and keep going right away.

Having the DRO is nice, but you still have to watch out for that heat induced expansion, nothing like measuring twice, cutting once and then when it cools realizing you are now undersized.

With the regular coolant tube, you set up a pour of coolant and it ends up getting all over the place, by using the through coolant feature, you can use a smaller stream and aim it at the cut better so less coolant flow and less mess.

Yes the boring bar is another good example of where this system works.

Walter
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2012, 08:08 PM)starlight_tools Wrote: Here is the link to the Dorian Website if anybody is interested in getting info on these tool posts.

Walter
Walter, my eyes must be failing me, I don't see the link.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjH9wSOlS5w

http://www.doriantool.com/doriantool/index.php
Thanks given by:
While I have a Dorian CA size QCTP and coolant on my open Victor lathe, I rarely use coolant except for drilling.

As for Dorian Tool's website, they get my vote for WORST.WEBSITE.EVER.

I've been after them for years to make it more user friendly and functional. Deaf ears.
Thanks given by:
I agree, their web site sucks. I can't stand web sites that are based on PDF files rather than HTML pages. I think KBC Tools is like that also.

Ed
Thanks given by: