Files
What do you folk recommend as a good selection of files, and where should I get them? I have seen a flat lathe file, but are other shapes also designed with any special features for lathe work?

Mike
Thanks given by:
For lathe work I like a safe file. The faces are cut but the edges are smooth. Nice for breaking sharp edges and cleaning up details without making the adjacent surface.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I hate reaching over the spinning chuck, so I always buy left-handed files to use on the lathe.... ;)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
(08-31-2012, 04:11 PM)Hopefuldave Wrote: I hate reaching over the spinning chuck, so I always buy left-handed files to use on the lathe.... ;)

Dave H. (the other one)

Huh?? They make such a thing?17428
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
(08-31-2012, 05:49 PM)DanH Wrote:
(08-31-2012, 04:11 PM)Hopefuldave Wrote: I hate reaching over the spinning chuck, so I always buy left-handed files to use on the lathe.... ;)

Dave H. (the other one)

You can usually find them on the shelves next to the left-handed screw drivers. Big Grin

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2012, 02:54 AM)ScrapMetal Wrote:
(08-31-2012, 05:49 PM)DanH Wrote:

Dave H. (the other one)

You can usually find them on the shelves next to the left-handed screw drivers. Big Grin

-Ron

So thats why some people are left handed, they make some jobs easyBig Grin
Thanks given by:

Dave H. (the other one)
Not having found any left-handed files here in the land of "you can't get that here" I just

climb over the lathe, run it in reverse and file right handed.Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2012, 02:54 AM)ScrapMetal Wrote: You can usually find them on the shelves next to the left-handed screw drivers. Big Grin

-Ron

I guess it depends on the store. I found mine next to the bolt stretchers in the hardware isle. (I had a couple of bolts that were a bit too short.)

Anyway..... as far as I know (not much) the only difference between a lathe file and a "regular" hand file is the angle of the teeth. The longer angle leaves more of a "draw filed" finish when used on a lathe. Corrections welcome... Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
Whichever you use, ensure it has a handle fitted.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
We could market a double handled file on this site. If it had a tang on each end it could be used right or left handed.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: