DIN 6388 OZ Collets
I have a perplexing situation at hand. I was given a collet chuck and a single collet. At a glance, I thought it was an ER series, but upon some measurements I concluded that it is a European standard 6388 OZ38 series. My quandary is whether to try to hunt down a few collets for the common sizes or sell it to someone who perhaps already has a set. The chuck is a 50 taper, and is in fine shape. It works fine for the single 1" size I have, but I wouldn't mind expanding the set a bit.

What do you guys think? Anyone from the Continent care to comment? I figure this is far more common there than in the States.
Thanks given by:
(08-22-2012, 11:36 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: I have a perplexing situation at hand. I was given a collet chuck and a single collet. At a glance, I thought it was an ER series, but upon some measurements I concluded that it is a European standard 6388 OZ38 series. My quandary is whether to try to hunt down a few collets for the common sizes or sell it to someone who perhaps already has a set. The chuck is a 50 taper, and is in fine shape. It works fine for the single 1" size I have, but I wouldn't mind expanding the set a bit.

What do you guys think? Anyone from the Continent care to comment? I figure this is far more common there than in the States.

Sounds to me like a very rare bird on this side of the pond. Since it was given to you, you can just hold out and see what happens as to whether you find more pieces to go with it. Probably cheaper and better in the long run is to get an ER collet holder on the 50 Taper and then you can get a wider variety of collets easier.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Kind of the conclusion I have come to so far, Walter. But I'm a patient man. Something may turn up. I got it with a Zayer #3 universal mill that's gathering dust, which is made in Spain, I believe. They're still in business, under Republic or Lagun...can't remember. I need a manual, but they're no help on it.
Thanks given by:
I recall seeing a discussion on this topic on MadModder:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=7273.0
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren, of course you would know about OZ collets, being from OZ.
This is the link in your link that could be of most interest.
http://www.haimer-asia.com/asia-en/zube-82.php
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
To be honest steve, I know nothing of them and hadn't heard of them until I saw the threat on MM.
Thanks given by:
Well, I did find this page for inch sizes: http://www.technixltd.com/prod2010/c/C25.pdf

I did not, however, find them at MSC, which surprised me a little, and tells me they aren't very popular in the US. I don't care so much about popularity, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a set when I could get something more "standard" here.

Maybe I should check with crankshafter on MM and see if he wants to get rid of his, since he "hasn't touched them". I don't recall him saying they were 32 series though.

Anybody need a 50 taper collet chuck with 1 1" collet?
Thanks given by:
I haven't looked at the specs but could you machine the chuck to take ER series collets?
Thanks given by:
I don't think so. The dimensions aren't that close. I haven't thought along those lines, but it's worth considering. I'm sure I'd have to make a new nut too, but that's not a big deal. The chuck is hardened, so I'd have to grind it, and if it's only case hardened, that would ruin it. I'll definitely look at that angle though. Thanks for the suggestion. Or maybe I could sleeve it down then grind it......the wheels are turning. Can't you hear the clanking?
Thanks given by:
Well since a Cat 50 ER 40 chuck is only about $200 +/-

Personally, I would set that one aside for rainy day projects, or when needed and get a ER40 set that I know I can get collets for easily.

A Bison set complete with collets from 1/8 to 1" is $673.00 in KBC Catalogue.

Not so sure it is worth trying to modify that chuck.

Sooner or later you will find someone that can use it, or find extra collets for it.

Walter

PS: Good to see you posting on other forums. Do not get to talk to you much anymore
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by: