BXA QCTP
I have never really worked with a QCTP before,I bought a AXA set for my old logan and have installed it but never used it. the handle is orientated so that it is towards the operator when in use. Today was the first day nI really got to play wit my new lathe and make some chips, love it it is very smooth and works well, 2 inch shaft single pass depth over 3/16 with a used carbide in an old toolholder I picked up in a deal, no grunts or groans or bad vibes, I am happy today. Only one small problem perhaps easily fixed but I need some advise. The QCTP handle, toolpost not made by lathe maker, seems to be oriented in the wrong direction or away from the operator and somewhat toward the tailstock. I have taken it apart and there seems to be no way to adjust the direction the handle points other than drill +tap a new hole in the top collar in what would be a more preferable location or to turn the bottom and make a new cam to fit over the present cam and silver solder it in the position of my choice. ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Tom,

There shouldn't be any need for such drastic measures. Can you post a pic of the toolpost with a toolholder tightened in place, as you have it situated now?
Willie
Thanks given by:
A pic will help.

All the ones I have seen (including my own) have the handle at about 12 O'clock when loose and about 4 O'clock when tightened up.

Is the body of the QCTP set square to the lathe? The Left hand side should be parallel to the face of the chuck. So when viewed from your operating position, one set of dove tails are at 9 O'clock and the other at 12O'clock.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Definitely post a picture and then tell us how you want it to be oriented. I'll check mine when I get home from work today.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom, just curious, is it a BXA, as the in title or an AXA, as in the text and are your "old logan" and your "new lathe" one and the same machine?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(02-23-2012, 07:27 AM)stevec Wrote: Tom, just curious, is it a BXA, as the in title or an AXA, as in the text and are your "old logan" and your "new lathe" one and the same machine?

NO the od logan is old and the AXA on it has the handle oriented vorrectly, the new lathe is a 12x40 which I imported directly from CHINA, the BXA on it the handle is in the wrong place, the one face on the toolpost (viewing from the top the position on the right side) the toolholder can't be installed when holding a insert holder. I must soon build a rocker style toolpost for this lathe, I do like the versatility and finish gained with hss but also like the cutting ability of the carbide inserts. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
Thanks given by:
I took a couple of pics of mine just for reference. Obviously the handle ends up in a bad place if you have the tool post turned the "wrong" way. I have both AXA and BXA posts. The handle on the AXA when tightened, faces the operator (me) more than the BXA does, which points more toward the tailstock.

If I disassemble the BXA tool post I can "clock" the center scroll (cam) in three places, much like jaws on a regular 3-jaw lathe chuck. But in 2 out of the 3 positions, the handle ends up pointing toward the headstock (bad) or the centerline of the lathe bed. (Also bad).

AXA:

BXA:

Willie
Thanks given by:
Mine is like Mayhem describes. It's a Dorian CA size (modified wedge style) and with the dovetails set so one face the spindle and one face the workpiece, the handle is at 4 o'clock when snugged-up. Similar to Highpower's first photo.
Thanks given by:
(02-23-2012, 05:53 PM)PixMan Wrote: Mine is like Mayhem describes. It's a Dorian CA size (modified wedge style) and with the dovetails set so one face the spindle and one face the workpiece, the handle is at 4 o'clock when snugged-up. Similar to Highpower's first photo.

When snugged up mine is more like the last photo, sort of between it + the 2nd last. It does not dissengfage very far so I think the fix will be to face a bit off the internal plungers 10 or 20 thou should bring it around more to suit mr. What do you think??? tom
One of the dovetails should face thwe headstock the other should be away from the operator or towards the rear of the lathe, the gandle should be out towards the operator somewhat, maybe a bit toward the tailstock.
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
Thanks given by:
My QCTP ends up like Willies bottom left photo. I have the exact same Phase II BXA tool post that he has.

Ed
Thanks given by: