Magnetic base restoration?
Question 
Anyone ever tried to rejuvenate a weak magnetic base? I've never had one apart so I'm just curious. I have this OLD indicator holder that was given to me, and I have used it a few times. But I've accidentally bumped into it a couple of times and knocked it clean of of the machine. Not good!
It's just too weak now, and before I replace the base I thought I would ask if anybody had tried replacing the magnets on one.

Made in Japan, imported by Enco, and branded as Sears/Roebuck! Rolleyes
It looks like the rivets on the name plate will have to be removed for access to the internals. :s

Willie
Thanks given by:
Never been inside one of these magnetic bases. Would make a good investigative project. If it can't be repaired maybe it can be modified with a Neodymium magnet or a magnet salvaged from a bad compuer hard drive?
Go for it, I'm watching!
Thanks given by:
Hi Willie

I think you are correct that cover plate may have to come off.

Also sometimes there are pins (small), one on each side that hold in and act as stops for the rotary type (on off) switch. Not all have those pins and how one would get them out, I have no idea.
:)
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I had a junky China-made one that I bought many years ago. It also lost much of it's pulling power so I popped off the drive pins that hold the front cover plate. Nothing to it...just a simple large bar magnet rotated by a fork on the back end of that plastic lever.

I believe the magnet can be re-magnetized by wrapping a wire around it and energizing the wire. Not sure, Google is your friend. I just tossed the whole thing and bought a Starrett.

That one is worth fixing if possible because of the build quality. I'd bet that lever is chrome-plated brass!
Thanks given by:
You are probably right Ken. If nothing else, that base is heavy. And that lever is certainly not plastic.

Hmmm..... I do have a good supply of magnets salvaged from hard drives too. I have to wonder if those really would work for this, or if they would be too thin. I am tempted....
Willie
Thanks given by:
At least tear it apart and let us see what's in it. I bet you could stack a few hard drive magnets and rejuvinate it.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
I have had a Mitutoyo one for years and tried everything but no success, you need a automotive electrician who has a remagnetiser for magnetos to fix it, I have asked around but no one over here seems to have one, and my son is an auto electrician.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Well for now I think this is going on the back burner.

I have a problem of never being able to find a sheet of scrap paper to scribble on when I want to jot down a measurement or something when I'm in the shop. It's always buried under a pile somewhere. Blush

So I picked up a small dry erase board and markers that I could hang, and it wouldn't get lost. I don't have any wall space available, so I thought about how I could hang it near my machines. :huh:

Long story short.... the back of the frame is now lined with hard drive magnets so I can just stick the board on or near any of the machines.
So there goes my supply of magnets for now..... Rolleyes

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
I can show the inside of this Mag base.

Must be 15 - 20 years old now. I had to take it apart when the lever switch broke, and I had to make another one.

General view the lever switch in the ON position. The Ali cover plate which is stuck on is all that holds in the lever switch in.

This shows the ‘inside’ still in the ON postion

This shows the OFF postion

The lever switch

Shows how the lever switch moves the inner magnet

:)
DaveH
Thanks given by: EdK , Highpower
Nothing like I expected. Thanks Dave. I'll leave it as is.

Willie
Thanks given by: