Tool Holders
Hi
I bought a quick change tool post for my boxford some time ago you only get 2 standard holders with the set.
Rob Wilson gave me a length of steel from a stacker truck fork(he reckoned it would be shiney on the inside)ThumbsupThumbsup
A Friend of mine cut the dove tail for me on his big CNC mill Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
Now it was my turn
The bar was 15 inches long i have already used most of it this is the last bit
[Image: IMG_3773.jpg]
3 faces were machined square so i could hold it in the vice
[Image: IMG_3788.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3792.jpg]
My diy fly cutter cleaned the block up
[Image: IMG_3808.jpg]
This material is not hard but it is very toughBashBashBash
Next the tool slot was milled
[Image: IMG_3818.jpg]
Some drilling and tapping
[Image: IMG_3781.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3786.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3793.jpg]
John
Thanks given by:
That looks like some pretty shiny metal stuff going on there John. Maybe Rob doesn't have a monopoly on shiny metal stuff. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
John,

Looks like Rob was correct it is shiny on the inside. Smiley-dancenana

Looks very good and nice John Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup
So how many tool holders did you make?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi
Dave i made 6 still not enough
It is easy to get them shiney getting them all the same size and shiney is the hard part
John
Thanks given by:
Nice going John Smiley-signs107

I cut up some more forks tother day ,,,Big Grin you want another length of bar Thumbsup

Rob
Thanks given by:
Nicely done John. I have a couple of chunks of fork I cut out when shortening a set for someone. How hard is it to machine, I cut them with an abrasive saw thinking they'ed be pretty hard, mind you they weld fine.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
well dun john a good bit of work gowing on ther Thumbsup Thumbsup
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2012, 08:52 PM)f350ca Wrote: Nicely done John. I have a couple of chunks of fork I cut out when shortening a set for someone. How hard is it to machine, I cut them with an abrasive saw thinking they'ed be pretty hard, mind you they weld fine.

Hi
Greg the fork i had machined fine plenty of coolant
John
Thanks given by:
Thanks John, guess it makes sense that they can't be too hard or would be brittle and not withstand the loads put on them. Will dig those chunks out and see what they look like.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I admire those of you who have time to make such things. While I have the tooling, and can get the material, I don't know if I'd ever find the time to make in several hours that which I can buy for about $8 to $27 in a few seconds from Tools4Cheap.net.

Big Grin

Seriously, I do appreciate the effort. I just wish I could justify it for my time. Good job!
Thanks given by: