English Regulator Clock Build
Photo 
I've been busy learning watch repair for the last year or so, buying non-running watches on eBay and getting them back in service. That got me interested in something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and that is to build a clock. I opted for a John Wilding designed English regulator because he has published a book on it with fairly complete drawings. The first task was to make cycloidal gear cutters to cut the wheels. They are made from O1 tool steel and are complete with back clearance for a clean cut in the brass blanks. I found a book that provided all of the math required and used some the designs by Clickspring on YT for the fixtures to make them. So far, I have one of two cutters made and most of the wheels cut. I also made the pillars and screws for the front and rear plates.

[Image: 20240316_122747.jpg]

[Image: 20240405_164718.jpg]

[Image: 20240405_164736.jpg]

[Image: 20240607_114303.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Good to see you back in the shop Tom.

Nice work on the parts. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2024, 07:28 PM)EdK Wrote: Good to see you back in the shop Tom.

Nice work on the parts. Thumbsup

Ed

Thanks, Ed. The shop is pretty much operational and it feels good to be making things again. There is still some organizing to be done and building things helps point out what needs to be done.
Thanks given by:
Also glad to hear your back in the shop Tom.
Watches are far too small for my fat shaky fingers, but building a clock has always been on my mind.
Was actually the reason I bought the milling machine, 20 some years ago, but still haven't started it. lol

Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I could never build a clock. At the rate I make parts, it would take several lifetimes, so color me impressed.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2024, 06:55 PM)rleete Wrote: I could never build a clock.  At the rate I make parts, it would take several lifetimes, so color me impressed.

It's been a couple of weeks since I touched it, so it may take me a couple as well. I just finished a basement bathroom build and am now up to my armpits in a new deck. I always thought there would be so much free time in retirement.  17428

Tom
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2024, 07:28 PM)TomG Wrote: I always thought there would be so much free time in retirement.

Welcome to retirement. Rotfl

Ed
Thanks given by:
We end up wondering how we ever had time for work.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: