Laser Cutter/Engraver
Picked up a laser cutter/engraver a couple of weeks ago.  Took a few days to install a vent, make room for it and some other things.  I still need to replace the laser head in it (consists of a better mirror and lens, not the laser itself), put a better controller in it (both are on order), add air assist and some other odds and ends but it works as is right now.  

It's a 40 watt CO2 and is currently engraving me some business cards.  Ignore the yellow stripes in the pic, they're from my LED lighting.

[Image: laser-e.jpg]

I tried engraving a faux leather patch but had the power up a little too high, that's what I get for following the instructions!   Burned right thru it.  No, I'm not posting a pic of that.  The business cards, however, are a different story.  They're coming out pretty good.  The camera angle is making it look less crisp than it is but at least the glare from the lite is gone.   The cards are anodized aluminum and take maybe 3-4 mins each.

[Image: bw-cards.jpg]

[Image: color-cards.jpg]

The original reason for buying it was to do leather patches for hats (I've been doing t-shirts, hats, koozies, etc) hopefully I'll get to that soon.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Did the laser cut out the aluminum blanks for the business cards?

Ed
Thanks given by:
No, but it should've been able to. The ones shown were done at 10% power. The lettering in the red card looked like there was still some red in it so I bumped the power up to 11% and that fixed it. 20% probably would've cut thru it, it did with the much thicker leatherette patch.

After I finished up and shut things down I noticed I only engraved 14 cards, so later on I'll do a few more (I'd like to have 25 on hand for an event this weekend) and I'll see what it takes to burn thru one.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2022, 10:59 AM)EdK Wrote: Did the laser cut out the aluminum blanks for the business cards?

Ed

Had the chance to try cutting one tonite and it didn't cut. The problem is after it gets by the anodizing it's shiny and reflects the laser away from it. I seem to recall something in the book about that now too.
Thanks given by:
That's too bad.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2022, 05:36 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 10:59 AM)EdK Wrote: Did the laser cut out the aluminum blanks for the business cards?

Ed

Had the chance to try cutting one tonite and it didn't cut.  The problem is after it gets by the anodizing it's shiny and reflects the laser away from it.   I seem to recall something in the book about that now too.

The main issue with laser cutters/engravers is keeping the lenses and mirrors clean especially when making metal items. The oxide will deposit itself on those components and then create hot spots leading to damage.
Thanks given by:
(07-14-2022, 03:27 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: The main issue with laser cutters/engravers is keeping the lenses and mirrors clean especially when making metal items. The oxide will deposit itself on those components and then create hot spots leading to damage.

Yep and the original lens, mirror and head in these are kinda low quality to begin with. According to tracking, the new head with lens and mirror is due to be delivered today. I'm prolly gonna wait till the new controller shows up to install it tho. The new board has better power control with the software I'll be using with it.
Thanks given by:
Well a lot has happened since July.  The new head came in and was a mess, mirror didn't line up and of course cutting anything was outta the question at that point.   Ordered a new one and the person that I got it from had it listed wrong, it was for a much bigger laser.  Finally got the right one now.  BUT ...

One evening I was looking at ebay and encountered a diode type laser cutter/engraver and couldn't squawk about the price so I jumped on it.  It was new/open box but nothing was missing.  The laser module was wimpy on it so I swapped it with a stronger one I had here already that I got for another project.  This one replaced that project.   Then after a couple of months, an even better one came available so I grabbed that.  It's been on ever since.  It's an 80 watt / 10 watt optical power and cuts and engraves nicely.

I originally got the first one so I could do leather and leatherette patches for hats.  Things really took off from there.  I'm not only doing patches and biz cards, but: lots of ornaments, boxes, slate coasters, ceramic tile, tumblers and that's just for starters.  I've been so busy lately I haven't even updated the store.  Here's a pic of a few of the ornaments, I'll post more pics of the other things hopefully this week, some I haven't even taken the pics yet and it's pushin 1am so I won't be snapping any tonite.

Thanks given by:
So you like the diode better than the CO2? I have one of those K40 type CO2 ones that I haven't even set up yet.
Retired old guy finally living the dream and enjoying life to the fullest!!!
Thanks given by:
(12-14-2022, 01:01 AM)Vinny Wrote: ... Here's a pic of a few of the ornaments, I'll post more pics of the other things hopefully this week, some I haven't even taken the pics yet and it's pushin 1am so I won't be snapping any tonite.

Nice ornaments! Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by: Vinny