Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill
So far I'm somewhat disappointed with the PM mill.

One of the thrust bearings on the right side of the X lead screw is stuck on. I spent a good part of yesterday with emery cloth smoothing out the shaft.  Bash
It was galled rather badly. I got it so I can slip the other thrust washer on up to the stuck one without it binding. I'll have to deal with the stuck thrust washer before I begin assembly. May have to make a custom puller.

The surface finish on the table is a bit disappointing. It looks like someone did a hand job with a sanding block and some 220 grit sandpaper.
There are long gashes in the table dovetails. They aren't very deep so probably won't affect the operation of the mill but they still shouldn't be there.
The casting for the table didn't have enough meat to fully form the dovetail on both ends of one side.
There's a ding on the table surface that will need to be stoned out. Not a big deal but it shouldn't be there on a new mill.
There's a burn mark on the table in one of the t-slots that goes all the way through and to the dovetail slide. Not sure how that could have happened but it shouldn't be there.

I think the table that was installed on this mill should have been rejected. Maybe it was and someone decided to use it anyway.  17428

Had to split the base and the column to make them easier to handle. They will be coming into the house shortly then everything will be inside. Then reassembly can get started.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear. Certainly not what you'd hope to get in a new machine, especially the condition you keep them in.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: EdK
Sorry to hear it Ed. I would absolutely be talking to PM about a 'do-over' on that table and lead screw at the very least!

Those 'burn marks' are screaming weld repair to me. An effort to salvage a rejected table? And how does a 'new' lead screw get galled in the crate?
No one should have to accept this as-is. Smiley-gen163
Willie
(03-27-2022, 07:25 PM)Highpower Wrote: I would absolutely be talking to PM about a 'do-over' on that table and lead screw at the very least!

Yup, I'm going to send them a link to this thread tomorrow. Hopefully PM will live up to their reputation of excellent customer service. Hell, I'd settle for a new table. I think I can deal with the lead screw.

My Enco mill I bought back in 2008 for a whole lot less money had a perfectly ground table. There's no excuse for the shoddy grinding(?) on this table.

Ed
Thanks given by:
2008 !!!!!! Sure doesn't seem that long ago.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2022, 08:47 PM)f350ca Wrote: 2008 !!!!!! Sure doesn't seam that long ago.

Yea, time flies when you're having fun.  Chin

Ed

Thanks given by:
Here's hoping they send you a new table and leadscrew, complete with new bearings Ed. That is unacceptable on a new machine.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
That "ding" in the table looks like a casting defect. Combined with the burn, they should send you a new table.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2022, 08:18 PM)EdK Wrote: My Enco mill I bought back in 2008 for a whole lot less money had a perfectly ground table. There's no excuse for the shoddy grinding(?) on this table.

Ed

Smiley-signs009

I bought my mill 2 months after you bought yours. OMG! Has it really been 14 years???  Yikes
Willie
Thanks given by:
(03-28-2022, 07:58 AM)rleete Wrote: That "ding" in the table looks like a casting defect.

It's not a casting defect. It got hit by something because the metal was displaced so it's above the surface of the table. It'll need to be stoned down.

Ed
Thanks given by: