Leatherman Tool Group
Thumbs Down 
I have a small multi-tool that I keep on my desk (made in China) that I got free in a promotion from UPS. 99% of the time I only use the needle nose pliers for something quick so I don't have to run downstairs to the toolbox. The rest of the "tools" (knife blade, screwdrivers etc.) go unused because it requires ANOTHER tool in order to dig down into the handles in order to get them out in order to use them. Fingernails alone won't cut it because the tools are too tight to move. The needle nose pliers will work in a pinch but the are still a pain to use as well. The center pivot of the jaws is distorted and no longer round after they pressed them together at the factory. I have to pull the jaws apart with two hands to open them up. I am tired of fighting them to use them.

So I decided to treat myself to a new multi-tool and settled on one from Leatherman. I signed up on their web site on a Saturday evening (Dec 5) and placed an on-line order with them. I ordered the tool and some accessories, one of which was a set of extra driver bits for $25. They are special flattened bits that are needed to fit in the tool's bit driver. The following Monday they sent me an email offer for a free bit set with a tool purchase good until Dec 9. So I emailed them back and asked them to apply the free bit offer to my order 2 days prior on the weekend. They never responded. I ordered a "customized" tool so I knew it would take time for them to do the work before they could ship it. They just sent me another email this week saying they shipped my order. They also decided to charge me the $25 for the bit set anyway.

This little pocket tool ended up costing me $250. Make of that what you will.
Willie
Thanks given by: arvidj
How did you get from $25 to $250?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Just saying that I placed a $250 order with them (tool, bit kit and belt pouch) and the next day they sent me the offer of getting a free bit kit ($25) if you purchased a tool. I already placed an order for both over the weekend when they were closed so I asked if they would knock $25 off of the $250 for the bit kit on Monday when they were open again.

Apparently that was too much to ask for.

Willie
Thanks given by:
I've had a small leatherman since the 80's, they don't seam to make it anymore. Double folding handles, so it closes to about 2 1/2 inches long. Got it as a safety award and carried it in my pocket for years and years. Broke a jaw off, I'm sure misusing it, they replaced it no questions asked. Haven't carried it for years but still dig it out of the kitchen drawer from time to time.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I have one that the kids gave me for Christmas maybe 10 years ago. The quality is excellent. The needle-nose pliers in particular are better than any others I own in jaw fit and shape.
Shame you missed their promotion by a couple of days Willie. Would have been nice if they'd backdated the offer for you but I guess there's no requirement for them to.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
My brother sent me a link for a promotion on Amazon when they first introduced the skeletool. I think I paid about $25 shipped; they are regularly 50 bucks and up these days. It's a good, quality tool, but I'd never pay more than $40 for one of them.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(12-17-2020, 05:22 PM)Pete O Wrote: Shame you missed their promotion by a couple of days Willie. Would have been nice if they'd backdated the offer for you but I guess there's no requirement for them to.

You are right Pete. They were not obligated because of a technicality. They finally shipped it on Dec 16 so I guess I would have lost out anyway since the "offer" ended on Dec 9 using their logic... Rolleyes

That's OK, $25 isn't going to kill me. I can't wait for them to ask me to buy something else from them though! Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2020, 09:23 AM)rleete Wrote: My brother sent me a link for a promotion on Amazon when they first introduced the skeletool.  I think I paid about $25 shipped; they are regularly 50 bucks and up these days.  It's a good, quality tool, but I'd never pay more than $40 for one of them.

I have to say I agree with you (now) Roger. I'm afraid I bought into the hype they put out on this model - Charge Plus TTI. UPS delivered it last night. They talk about the superior S30V steel they use for the main blade in this one and how much better it holds an edge. What they didn't talk about was how they send these out with a rough grind on the blade with burrs left on the cutting edge. It was never honed. Rings truth to the phrase "not the sharpest knife in the drawer". Or maybe that just applies to me since I'm the one that bought it.  Big Grin

The tool also sports a dual-sided file with a cross-cut on one side and a diamond plated surface on the other. Problem is the file is also bent, but they installed it anyway. The diamond side scrapes the inside of the liner of the handle when you open or close the file. Nothing like having a tool that want's to eat itself away when you need to use the file. The inner tools on one side deploy reasonably. The other side not so much. Very stiff and hard to move. Likewise the pliers suffer the the same problem as the Made in China tool it was intended to replace. Open the jaws half way and they get stuck. Only way to open them fully is to pry them apart with two hands.

I've seen YouTube videos of people reviewing the "Wingman" model showing how the pliers jaws easily spring fully open on their own. Guess I should have bought a $50 tool instead after all. Go figure. Another lesson learned.
Willie
Thanks given by:
I'd contact them about a replacement. Guys at work swear their warranty service is fantastic.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I'll wait until something breaks before I send it in for warranty. Customers have to pay the return shipping to send it back to them for warranty work. And I don't want to chance losing another $41 right now that I paid for the engraving I had done. Custom orders can't be returned or exchanged, so if they replaced it they would want to charge me again to engrave the replacement. No bueno!

Willie
Thanks given by: