bottle filling facility fire
For anyone like myself who's had an acetylene bottle leak & catch fire this is a good reminder of just how dangerous this gas can be.  

https://youtu.be/RmxI0MX_aro
Thanks given by:
Not as spectacular as the Texas acetylene plant fire Stan, I guess the Chinese explosions are of inferior quality. Big Grin
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
I like how they all stuck around to fight the fire, rather than save their asses, the whole place could gone up in an instant. Although they probably couldn't run far enough in time to do that.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2019, 11:03 PM)Pete O Wrote: Not as spectacular as the Texas acetylene plant fire Stan, I guess the Chinese explosions are of inferior quality.  Big Grin

Yeah, it doesn't get exciting until the tanks start auditioning for the space-x program... Big Grin
The St. Louis entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScdsHKB-tr4
Willie
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2019, 06:53 AM)TomG Wrote: I like how they all stuck around to fight the fire, rather than save their asses, the whole place could gone up in an instant. Although they probably couldn't run far enough in time to do that.

Tom

What? Me worry?
[Image: neuman.jpg]

Willie
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2019, 06:53 AM)TomG Wrote: I like how they all stuck around to fight the fire, rather than save their asses, the whole place could gone up in an instant. Although they probably couldn't run far enough in time to do that.

Tom

Well firemen in all countries are trained to go toward fires.  Ditto for when I was in the Navy.  The secondary MOS (military occupational specialty) in the Army is infantryman.  In the Navy its firefighter and I went to a firefighting school each year (4) that I was on active duty.  The knowledge has been useful especially when my (now Ex) wife let a skillet get too hot & catch on fire.  Again when a student put a piece of magnesium in the crucible when melting aluminum. Can we say Roman candle on steroids?  Or when I had an acetylene bottle leak due to a bad seat where the regulator screws in and catch on fire.  Can we say skid marks in the skivvies?

Just looked at the video of the firemen and the burning acetylene tank.  If one notices they are simply keeping the tank cool and allowing the acetylene to burn off.  In my case I fogged the tank with dry chemical (shot above & let it drift down) putting out the fire and allowing me to close the valve.  In any case it's good practice NOT to direct the firefighting agent at the flame as it could (unlikely, but possible) drive the flame into the tank. Yikes
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2019, 10:36 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Just looked at the video of the firemen and the burning acetylene tank.  If one notices they are simply keeping the tank cool and allowing the acetylene to burn off.  In my case I fogged the tank with dry chemical (shot above & let it drift down) putting out the fire and allowing me to close the valve.  In any case it's good practice NOT to direct the firefighting agent at the flame as it could (unlikely, but possible) drive the flame into the tank. Yikes

Thumbsup   See page 11. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...ooic9wUUOm

The scary thing to me is that fire started inside the shop and the employees rolled the cart outside (while it was burning) before the fire department ever showed up.

I half expected one of those nonchalant firefighters to say "Hey SAM! Run down to the grocery and pick up a bag of marshmallows...")   Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: