A Shop Built Baby Shaper
In introductions Pete O said "Oh, and it's considered impolite here to use phrases like 'shop built shaper' and then not attach pictures. " What, a welcome, being called impolite , Big Grin Big Grin . I'm an old phart with very few computer skills, I still look for the keys, for heaven's sake.

I'll try to describe it as best I can and how I came into it. I got a lead on some high end wood working chisels so I checked it out. I was a pattern maker's tool chest from an estate sale with E.A. Berg and Wm. Marple & Sons chisels and in channel gouges. Swedish and English chisels, it simply doesn't get better. After some bargaining, I'll be bargaining with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates, we agreed to $275. "Ray what this?" "Oh that's a baby shaper" "A what? " "It removes metal" "OK for $50 more you can have it" "Yeah, I guess so" Another project, I was bursting out with enthusiasm, NOT.

It's a 6" shop built of welded steel. From the 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" 2x4s in the stand, it predates the late '60s. The Tamper brand motor looks very '50ish. I live near Vancouver, at one time Vancouver had more sawmills than any place else in the world. Each one of these mills would have a fairly complete maintenance shop with lathe, mill and forge. The square head bolts used on the stand would suggest sawmill timber construction. Early in my career, in between construction jobs, I worked as a relief millwright in a lot of the ones that remained. I'm not fond of graveyard, so I always turned down steady work. My guess ,it was made in one of those shops.

The specs are 7" or so stroke, three speeds with clutch, gear driven, square ways on the ram.

This is more of a completion than a rebuild.
shimmed the ram
I have modified the motor and jackshaft plates for easier adjustment.
Added a hand wheel for manual positioning .
Originally it used one of the old style ratcheting box end wrenches for the feed ratchet, I switched it out with a fine tooth ratchet and adjustable feed rod.
Painted it

To do
add feed dials with rods that have easy pitch, 7/16" x20 tpi and acme 1/2" x 10 tpi
complete the skate assembly.
Thanks given by:
Well I guess you've almost redeemed yourself Smile . Sounds like a fascinating bit of kit, of course we'd love to see photos if you ever get to figuring that out. The guy I bought my shaper from had had it sitting in his shed for 30 years and had never even plugged it in, mow it sits idle for months at a time but then there will be a job that it is ideal for.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
I think Pete will agree. A shaper is a lot like a campfire. You may not use one very often, but when you do, you can't help standing there and watching it.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2018, 12:11 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: In introductions Pete O said "Oh, and it's considered impolite here to use phrases like 'shop built shaper' and then not attach pictures. "  What, a welcome, being called impolite ,  Big Grin  Big Grin . I'm an old phart with very few computer skills, I still look for the keys, for heaven's sake.  

I'll try to describe it as best I can and how I came into it. I got a lead on some high end wood working chisels so I checked it out.  I was a pattern maker's tool chest from an estate sale with E.A. Berg and Wm. Marple & Sons chisels and in channel gouges. Swedish and English chisels, it simply doesn't get better. After some bargaining, I'll be bargaining with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates, we agreed to $275.  "Ray what this?" "Oh that's a baby shaper" "A what? " "It removes metal" "OK for $50 more you can have it" "Yeah, I guess so"  Another project, I was bursting out with enthusiasm, NOT.

It's a 6" shop built of welded steel. From the 1 5/8" x 3 5/8"  2x4s in the stand, it predates the late '60s. The Tamper brand motor looks very '50ish.  I live near Vancouver, at one time Vancouver had more sawmills than any place else in the world. Each one of these mills would have a fairly complete maintenance shop with lathe, mill and forge. The square head bolts used on the stand would suggest sawmill timber construction. Early in my career, in between construction jobs, I worked as a relief  millwright in a lot of the ones that remained. I'm not fond of graveyard, so I always turned down steady work. My guess ,it was made in one of those shops.  

The specs are 7" or so stroke, three speeds with clutch, gear driven, square ways on the ram.

This is more of a completion than a rebuild.
shimmed the ram
I have modified the motor and jackshaft plates for easier  adjustment.
Added a hand wheel for manual positioning .
Originally it used one of the old style ratcheting box end wrenches for the feed ratchet, I switched it out with a fine tooth ratchet and adjustable feed rod.
Painted it

To do
add feed dials with rods that have easy pitch, 7/16" x20 tpi and acme 1/2" x 10 tpi
complete the skate assembly.

G'day Downwindtracker,

Interesting box of goodies there. If you would like to share some pictures the process is 1: click on "Browse" to select your picture; 2. click on "Add Attachment"; and 3: click on "Insert Into Post": then click on "Post".

There is a limit on file size e.g. 2mb for jpeg and 5mb for pdf files and a limit of 15 attachments per post.

looking forward to seeing your Shaper . . .
john aka castellated nut

Thanks given by: