Advice on bending 1/4" flat bar steel
I'm interested in making table legs and shelf brackets out of 1/4" x 1.5" and 2" steel. I've been looking at the metalpro 4000 and 4500 as a possible option for doing this. I would be needing to make approximately a couple hundred brackets per month. My question is, Is this the right machine for the job??  I'm pretty new to this so I'm wondering if there are other/better options?? Possibly cheaper??? Thanks
Thanks given by:
The industry standard for something like that would be a hydraulic press brake, but you couldn't touch one even used for that kind of money. Better find out if there are stops that can be set for production runs like you are planning.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Welcome Brett

If its just a bender your after one of these will easily bend 1/2 x 2 flat bar.

https://www.kakaindustrial.com/products/...tal-bender

I've had one for years, amazing what they're capable of.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: Brett6366
(04-10-2018, 12:41 PM)f350ca Wrote: Welcome Brett

If its just a bender your after one of these will easily bend 1/2 x 2 flat bar.

https://www.kakaindustrial.com/products/...tal-bender

I've had one for years, amazing what they're capable of.

That may be exactly what i'm needing for now. My new question is, will my arms fall off if i'm trying to bend about 400 90 degree angles a month?? Seriously though I really think I may go ahead and buy this. Would my $$$ be better invested in the heavier duty models i see here as well?? Don't get me wrong I'm not afraid to go to work but i"m just curious as to how much work I would be getting myself into with this.
Thanks given by:
I'm by no means a body builder but have no trouble operating it. lol Actually getting old age pension now. Seriously have no idea what the actual poundage would be on the pull, I bent some 1/4 x 4 the other day, I had to put my back into it but had no trouble.
Unless the heavier ones use a ratcheting compound action they won't be any easier to operate.
The bending operation is so much quicker than the hydraulic one you were looking at you'll have plenty of time to rest. It has stops that can be adjusted to get the exact bend your after.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2018, 08:52 PM)f350ca Wrote: I'm by no means a body builder but have no trouble operating it. lol Actually getting old age pension now. Seriously have no idea what the actual poundage would be on the pull, I bent some 1/4 x 4 the other day, I had to put my back into it but had no trouble.
Unless the heavier ones use a ratcheting compound action they won't be any easier to operate.
The bending operation is so much quicker than the hydraulic one you were looking at you'll have plenty of time to rest. It has stops that can be adjusted to get the exact bend your after.

Ok thanks for the tip on this. At that price its not to much of a gamble.  I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on one of these real quick. In the process of setting up a new shop so it will most likely be closer to the beginning of the month before I order one. I'll let ya know how it works out for me. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Could always automate that tool. Would not think that would be all that hard to do.

Pretty sure Greg would have some good input on that subject. Thinking about the log splitter he built

the other,
Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(04-12-2018, 06:43 AM)pepi Wrote: Could always automate that tool. Would not think that would be all that hard to do.

Pretty sure Greg would have some good input on that subject. Thinking about the log splitter he built

the other,
Greg

We may be bringing this up for re-discussion this in the near future!
Thanks given by:
In case Brett's not aware, the "log splitter" Greg's referring to does a little more than just splitting a log. Actually about the only thing it doesn't do is chop down the tree!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Why not  buy a 20 ton hydraulic press from  harbor freight and get a bending brake kit from swag off-road https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...z0gx8vU6Uu  they've got several options .if you don't wanna manually do the handle on the jack you can swap it out with a air operated Jack from harbor freight. then all you gotta do is squeeze a trigger .you could probably make a jig to do one after another or even multiples .you can find 20 percent off coupons for harbor freight aswell there's plenty of posts  and videos on both on YouTube and multiple forums
Thanks given by: