CXA toolholder dovetail dimensions
I'm looking at making a basic QCTP, either using Greg's design from here, or a Jon Stephenson style.
I've got a 14" lathe so intend to go with the CXA size toolpost and would like to use the "standard" dovetail dimensions for compatibility in case I ever get a real toolpost.

Does anyone happen to have accurate dimensions for a CXA toolholder dovetail. I thought I had found and saved some previously but can't seem to track them down. I can find dimensions online for other sizes, but not CXA.

Steve
Thanks given by:
This store site seams to list them Steve.
https://www.accusizetools.com/quick-change-tool-posts/

Smart move, when I built mine it never crossed my mind to make them to a standard. Guess all the really high end stuff is proprietary. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: SteveG
(02-12-2018, 10:19 PM)f350ca Wrote: This store site seams to list them Steve.
https://www.accusizetools.com/quick-change-tool-posts/

Smart move, when I built mine it never crossed my mind to make them to a standard. Guess all the really high end stuff is proprietary. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Awesome - thanks Greg. Plenty of sites have the post dimensions and all the toolholder dimension EXCEPT the dovetail.

LOL - yeah, after having high quality custom made tooling I'm sure you'll never come back to standard commercial stuff ;)

You've been using yours for a long time now. Anything you'd change/improve?

Steve
Thanks given by:
Its stood up amazingly well Steve. I lucked into a really hard piece of mystery metal when I made the body. Was a bugger to work with but worth the effort. To do it again I'd spend the money on a chunk of 4140 heat treated or similar to get the hardness again. Only complaint is you have to really synch it down or it will rotate on the compound under a hard cut. Thats with the bottom relieved so that only a small ring touches on the outside edge.
Same with the cam that pushes the locking pins. Mind you the pins are brass and they still work.
Greg
Thanks given by: SteveG
Thanks Greg. I'll keep a lookout for some decent material to make it from. Think I know where there's some mystery shafting that might fit the bill.
Had a couple of dovetail cutters turn up yesterday, so slowly gathering what I need.
I got lucky and picked up a couple of free scrap forklift tynes a couple of weeks ago - so should have plenty of material for the holders.

Steve
Thanks given by:
(02-13-2018, 09:13 AM)f350ca Wrote: ...Only complaint is you have to really synch it down or it will rotate on the compound under a hard cut...

Have you tried adding a thrust bearing under the nut?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(02-13-2018, 06:06 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:13 AM)f350ca Wrote: ...Only complaint is you have to really synch it down or it will rotate on the compound under a hard cut...

Have you tried adding a thrust bearing under the nut?

Not a proper bearing, using a bronze washer. That might help. Or a longer handle. The CA Dorian on the Summit uses a 1 3/8 wrench so lots of torque
Greg
Thanks given by: