Need some hold down advice
I have a number or pieces of plastic that will be front panels. They're various sizes between 3x5 and 8x10 but only 1/4" thick. I need to mill them flat on both sides to about 1/8" or maybe a bit thicker. How do I hold these down? If they were metal I'd just mount a magnetic chuck to the table but they're not. Any ideas?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
vacuum, would be the best way in my thinking. probably cheaper and easier to just buy the correct thickness of plastic
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Not an option. It's poured and regardless of thickness the top and bottom need to be cleaned up before a mold can be made of it. The sides need to be squared up too but that's what a vise is for.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
Can you make them oversized, bolt down, mill, and trim afterwards?
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Thought about that but at least one has to be a tight fit for an existing, and readily available, box. So I'd still have to do it for one since I use the existing box for the original mold.
Thanks given by:
Why not just use some plexi or similar material?
Thanks given by:
I've used double sided tape before with good success. Just tape them down to a sub plate and clamp it to the table. Ordinary Scotch brand tape will work fine with all that area.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Or carpet tape.
Thanks given by:
I've got a roll of carpet tape too. It holds a lot stronger than you think it would. I've taped small pieces directly to the top of my vise before with good results. Had a heck of a time getting it loose from the vise again actually without bending it. The part, not the vise...   Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Would crazy glue stick to the plastic? Warm it up and it lets go, maybe too warm for the plastic though.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: