metal cleaners
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BotOXBI90...ature=plcp

you might find it interesting....you might not.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by: EdK
Another site suggests
this stuff works real well and three bottles are under $9.00.
Thanks given by:
I have used Oven cleaner on my saw blades for many years but somewhere I read that it does something detrimental to the carbide.. Just something to think about
claudef, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:
Sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient in oven/grill cleaners. Common Products

Stay far, far away from any aluminum.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Drain cleaner mixed in water is a great blade cleaner too.
Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Interesting Mike and thanks for posting

i will pick up a can tomorrow to try out as a pre clean on small parts to be plated .

Rob
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2012, 08:35 AM)Highpower Wrote: Sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient in oven/grill cleaners.

Why? It's also the active ingredient in many aluminum cleaning products, such as used on car wheels. You have to rinse it off well, but I'd hate to have to scrub my polished aluminum wheels by hand. Sure, it would ruin the finish on a mic, but if you've got lye near your shop tools, you've got bigger problems.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2012, 07:12 PM)rleete Wrote:
(05-03-2012, 08:35 AM)Highpower Wrote: Sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient in oven/grill cleaners.

Why? It's also the active ingredient in many aluminum cleaning products, such as used on car wheels.

True. But it has a much lower percentage of (lye) than the oven cleaner does. Strong bases attack aluminum. That is why "Crystal Drain-O" has aluminum flakes mixed in. The exothermic reaction creates heat and pressure (hydrogen gas) inside a drain pipe to help "bust clogs".

You certainly wouldn't want to clean your car wheels with Easy-Off. Unless maybe you wanted to have them plated afterward.... Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
No, probably not. But I do use lye in quite concentrated form for preping aluminum parts for anodizing. You have to be careful not to leave parts in solution for too long, as it will erode them quite quickly. It leaves a nice matt finish.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Hi Lads Big Grin

Mr Muscle oven cleaner works a charm Thumbsup
[Image: normal_P1040819.jpg]
parts straight off the machine ,, squirt of oven cleaner , leave for a few minutes ,, rinse with water and straight into the plating bath .
[Image: normal_P1040800.jpg]
I was very pleased with how good it cleaned the knurl .

Rob
Thanks given by: