Squaring up a part within .0002" on a knee mill.
This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgl_NbQXshQ is part one of a multi part video of a squareness checker I am making. On part one we are squaring the nose piece within .0002" on all six faces.

Steve
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve,

I like the detailed description and effort you put into your videos.

Thanks
Mike
Thanks given by:
Thanks Mike,

I appreciate that. We hope to be a benefit to others. Sometimes those who have a lot of experience will be bored with the details but I try to remember that there are many who are new to metalworking and will need the details. I have trained many people in my 40+ years in the trade and have found out that it works better to explain why you do things a certain way rather than just how. I like the slider bar at the bottom of YouTube videos on subjects that I am familiar with because I can skip through the stuff I already know and hone in on the parts that I want to know.

Steve
Thanks given by:
Here is part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upUYGTwD4Qk
Thanks given by: EdK
(05-14-2017, 11:56 AM)Viperspit Wrote: Thanks Mike,

I appreciate that. We hope to be a benefit to others. Sometimes those who have a lot of experience will be bored with the details but I try to remember that there are many who are new to metalworking and will need the details. I have trained many people in my 40+ years in the trade and have found out that it works better to explain why you do things a certain way rather than just how. I like the slider bar at the bottom of YouTube videos on subjects that I am familiar with because I can skip through the stuff I already know and hone in on the parts that I want to know.

Steve

Exactly and that was the primary lesson I had to learn when I started teaching at the vo-tech.  A good example is to write up  procedure for someone to learn how to tie shoes who does not know what a shoe is.
Thanks given by:
I learned a lot from both of those videos Steve; apart from the accurate squaring process itself there are a lot of little tips that are helpful to a novice like me. I particularly liked the tip about the light finish cut leaving a small burr to remove, and the unconventional use of the boring head. There was a video from This Old Tony where he mentions how to cut balls with the boring head. This sort of thing where you use a tool that you already have, to do something you might not have thought of, is a boon.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Pete,

It is encouraging to know others are benefiting from the videos. A lot of the things I share I learned form my father who had only a 9th grade education. He is 78 years old and still in the trade. He is one of the best machinist I know when it comes to manual machines. Others who worked with him will say the same. I have seen him do the so-called impossible so many times I loss count. I have 3 sons and 2 daughters I am teaching the trade to now. My oldest son and owner of Solid Rock Machine Shop Inc. was the one who wanted us to do YouTube videos and share the trade with others. Some day when they get over their stage fright they will get in on the videos as well. Thanks for the encouragement.

Steve
Thanks given by: