Vise Sizing
The in coming Rockwell mill, has a 6-1/2" x 24" table, looking for a good milling vise. I have 6" on the other 2 mills (a Jet JVM 836 and the infamous Franken-Mill), wonder on the best size for the Rockwell?? 4"?? or 5"?? or some other size.
jack
Thanks given by:
I have a 5" Glacern on mine.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
I have a 5x24 table on mine and use a 4" screwless vise on it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I recently got a 4" vise for my mill. I've got a 6" Kurt vise but I can't lift it off the mill table without risk of injury so I got the 4" for the projects that don't need the capacity of the Kurt vise. Most of my projects don't need the 6" vise. Here's the link to the 4" vise I got from Precision Matthews.

4" Vise

I'm very happy with the vise. I ran a DTI across the fixed jaw and got less run-out than the Kurt vise has. Actually, I got no detectable run-out.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2017, 07:12 PM)EdK Wrote: ...Actually, I got no detectable run-out...

You did make sure the indicator tip was touching the jaw, didn't you? Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2017, 07:45 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 07:12 PM)EdK Wrote: ...Actually, I got no detectable run-out...

You did make sure the indicator tip was touching the jaw, didn't you?  Big Grin

Yes. I couldn't believe it at first but ran the test a number of times.

Ed
Thanks given by:
The most suitable vise I have for my mill's 6" x 32" table is a 4 1/2" Jones and Shipman model. Here are a couple of photos, with one alongside my 6" vise for comparison.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike
Thanks given by:
Don't underestimate the bonus of the added mass of a larger vise.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Most of the mass of my 6" vise hangs over the edge of the table, gets even worse when the jaws are opened.
Mike
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2017, 10:47 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Don't underestimate the bonus of the added mass of a larger vise.

That's a very good point Darren. I use the Kurt vise when I need to do some serious hogging of metal no matter how small the piece I'm working on is.

Ed
Thanks given by: