Drill bits
Thoughts regarding Titanium nitride (TiN) coated bits .

Good, hype, application, can they be sharpened? Realizing they are coated not thinking

they will not stand to much of that.

All eyes, ears will not apply here,
Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
All of the ones I've had (read: cheap) the sharpness outlasted the coating.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Not worth the money for general use.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
A drill Doctor will take even the cheapest bits and make them usable, provided they are not bent. Best 20 bucks (used) I ever spent.

Buy cheap sets, sharpen before use. Coatings make little difference as far as I have seen.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I have a DD and i agree it rocks, owning it for 15 years. As to the question regarding the drill bits I got this in an e mail and has me thinking about the coating.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g3658?em...g3658_box6

Normanally I prefere the black ozide. But the price of this set has me thinking maybe try something new. What is the purpose or application of the coating?

Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
TiN is supposed to harden the surface for longer wear.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I tend to buy older (better quality) drill bit .
Thanks given by:
Which Drill Doctors do you guys have? I have one of the basic models, and haven't been too impressed. Of course, user error and/or ineptitude is certainly a factor.

Other than the capacity, is there any difference between the models? I mean, if I screw up on the cheap one, will I screw up just the same on the top-of-the-line, just with more efficiency?
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
I have the 750 and have had good service out of it.  One of the better aspects is its sharpening carbide drills.

BTW, +whatever on the coatings.  The ends of the flutes are what cut the material, not the sides, so they are not worth the extra money.
Thanks given by:
I have a 500 and a 750. I use the 500 most. It works quite well. The only reason I don't use the 750 that often is I don't remember where I put it! Got them both on ebay and they showed up a day apart. I checked out the 750, the next day the 500 showed up and I just kept using it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: