carbide burr chatter
this has always been a frustrating topic for me and every time i use one which is not often i try to understand what is happening to cause the chatter but im just as clueless as when i first started.

i dont care if its from china or pferd i don't want to muck a tool up.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
How are you using the burrs?

They shouldn't be used in a mill or lathe as they are designed mainly for use in a hand drill, for very rough cutting. I use mine in a pneumatic drill, and only by hand holding, that allows them to vibrate as much as they want to.

Because of the layout of the cutting edges they will automatically start to chatter if you use them in a rigid machine. They are more like a file rather than a cutter.

John
Thanks given by:
(04-19-2012, 06:49 AM)Bogstandard Wrote: How are you using the burrs?

They shouldn't be used in a mill or lathe as they are designed mainly for use in a hand drill, for very rough cutting. I use mine in a pneumatic drill, and only by hand holding, that allows them to vibrate as much as they want to.

Because of the layout of the cutting edges they will automatically start to chatter if you use them in a rigid machine. They are more like a file rather than a cutter.

John

die grinder, though i do have an upcoming project where i intended to use one in a machine. i figured they would work better in a machine since carbide likes it rigid.

i was thinking maybe i needed to finally buy a high quality die grinder with speed control and some torque. its sort of hard to justify when you use rotary files ten minutes a year but maybe id use them more if i had a good die grinder.

i was also wondering but never made any relation to using them in a climbing vs conventional sense.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hi
I have used carbide burs extensivly for modifying cylinder heads
Both iron and aluminium
They need to be run fast very fast (die grinder)
You cut cast dry i use rocol tapping fluid with aluminium (wd 40 works)
A good finish can be obtained with no chatter but you have to make them work
john
Thanks given by:
(04-20-2012, 03:36 PM)doubleboost Wrote: A good finish can be obtained with no chatter but you have to make them work
john

That seems to be a requirement with carbide in most forms. It likes to work hard. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by: