Surface plate in a roll around tool box
I have been threatening to do this for some time now.  Last weekend my wife bought me this tool cart at Harbor Freight for storing my 12"x18" surface plate and measuring tools.  It was easy to put together and it feels very sturdy and solid.  So far I can highly recommend it.  They always have a super coupon for these at $99.99.

As you can see the surface plate goes in the top storage area under a nice steel cover.  This should help keep it clean and protected.  I positioned the surface plate on three hard rubber washers at the Airy points per recommended installation procedures.  The measuring tools go in the drawers below.

Here is the start of my metrology/layout tooling.  All my micrometers, calipers, space blocks and gage blocks are stored in this cart as well.

Actually the Moore Edge Finder (center front) is not for measuring but it is stored here with the other items because it makes sense to keep it with the precison tools.
JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Noice! Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
Good idea, having that mobil, speaking of assembly, stands or storage try lock-tight on the fasteners. My experience over the years has lead me to this conclusion. BBQs too tool stands, these type of things are always in motion so to speak, the lock-tight keeps things shored up.

No I would not suggest taking it down to add lock-tight on the fasteners, just food for thought..
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(05-05-2016, 07:53 AM)pepi Wrote: Good idea, having that mobil, speaking of assembly, stands or storage try lock-tight on the fasteners. My experience over the years has lead me to this conclusion. BBQs too tool stands, these type of things are always in motion so to speak, the lock-tight keeps things shored up.

No I would not suggest taking it down to add lock-tight on the fasteners, just food for thought..

pepi, the nuts sent with this tool cart are the ones with a nylon locking insert.  I doubt they will ever get loose during my low mile per hour application.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the fasteners and the paint job.  The nuts and bolts were the right size and the right quantity.  They are a bright zinc finish so it should be quite a while before they get rusty.

The cart came well packaged and only 2 or 3 little spots that show any rubbing of the paint.  I could easily touch up these small spots with a bottle of model paint and a little brush.
Thanks given by:
Just an FYI.  If anyone is looking at one of these roll around carts they are $99.99 at HF for Father's Day weekend.

http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-capa...OSJ9%0D%0A
Thanks given by: EdK
(06-16-2016, 12:07 PM)JScott Wrote: Just an FYI.  If anyone is looking at one of these roll around carts they are $99.99 at HF for Father's Day weekend.

http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-capa...OSJ9%0D%0A

Thanks. I just ordered one. I've been thinking of getting one from Menards for my surface plate but just hadn't got around to it yet. I also have a 12" x 18" surface plate so I'll be copying what you did. Big Grin

The tool cart weighs 97lbs and I was charged only $6.99 for shipping.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, I forgot that some folks might be ordering online and that almost everything they sell will ship for $6.99.  I ordered a small air compressor, an air hose and some quick connect fittings for my machinist benefactor last month.  They shipped everything to him in Colorado for $6.99 even though they shipped from different locations at different times.

The Harbor Freight stuff (in my opinion) comes in three groups.  Some stuff is awful, some stuff is great and some items are mini projects that just need a tune-up or tweak.

I think this cart is great.  Let me know what you think and how it works for you.

JScott
Thanks given by:
The cart arrived yesterday. This thing is heavy. I'm glad I haven't dismantled the planks I used to get the mill parts down into the basement.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, I noticed the weight also.  At least we are getting our money's worth buying by the pound!  It takes two people to flip it over after assembly so be prepared.

I am loving mine.  Can't wait to see yours set up.
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2016, 09:16 AM)JScott Wrote: Ed, I noticed the weight also.  At least we are getting our money's worth buying by the pound!  It takes two people to flip it over after assembly so be prepared.

I am loving mine.  Can't wait to see yours set up.

Mine is still in the box. How are the casters? Those are usually where they skimp on quality.

Ed
Thanks given by: