Precision ball bearings?
OK, I give up....  Who has precision machine bearings in a moderate range? I can't believe McMaster jumps from a standard ABEC-1 bearing ($12.51 each) straight to a Timken ABEC-7 ($322.32 each).   Yikes

Even the original lame Chinese 6007 bearings (35x62x14) are marked P5 (ABEC-5) fer cryin out loud!   Smiley-signs131
I don't like the open bearings though, and would like to replace them with sealed bearings.
Anybody have a decent source of good bearings that are reasonable?
Willie
Thanks given by:
I do but they are here in Perth! Surely you can find something local Willie. Don't you have contacts in the game?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hey Willie,

You should be able to buy one here without having to sell the horse.

VHB Bearings

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
https://www.motionindustries.com/product...u=00048407
I'm using ABEC-3's on a Logan lathe spindle, they seem to do just fine.
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2016, 06:03 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Don't you have contacts in the game?

Yes I do....... YOU GUYS!!!! Big Grin

Automotive bearings sure. High precision machine bearings - not so much. Sadno

It's all Ed's fault.
He started talking about oil for his mill, which started me thinking about the MachTach I put together a couple of years ago (also his fault for telling me about those...) so I started pulling the head apart on my mill to get the brake drum off in order to modify it for the speed sensor pickup for the MachTach, which got me down to the open (and dry) drive spindle bearings that I don't like.....

Next thing I know, my mill is in pieces and now I can't find the bearings I want. (yet) Bash
I'll have a look at those sites - thanks guys.

Just so it is understood - the bearings I am talking about are open to the dust / dirt / v-belt debris inside the belt drive housing and can't be lubricated. It would only serve to collect all that cr** inside the bearings. So while it's apart, NOW is the time to put some sealed bearings in there. Like I said - it's all Ed's fault... Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

What sucks is - I want to cut some shallow vertical grooves around the circumference of the brake drum, which would be easy with my indexer/rotab on the mill. Slaphead

I don't have an indexing set-up for the lathe so I'll have to rig something. Sigh..... it never ends.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hey Willie, since I'm the source of your problem, maybe I can be the source of your solution. Big Grin

http://www.ebatmus.com/

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed. But you can only search by a specific part number there and they don't list prices for 95% of their bearings. So far I have only been able to find one number that would meet my need and they don't stock it.

Boca bearings lists a # B7007C-2RS/T/P4S that looks like what I want (over-kill really, at ABEC-7) but it has double seals and is listed for $105 each. I'm guessing that is a FAG bearing (Germany).

But of course, they are OUT OF STOCK. Bash Bash Bash

I have an email into them asking about availability..... Smiley-gen151
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2016, 06:53 PM)Highpower Wrote: Thanks Ed. But you can only search by a specific part number

That's my big complaint about them. Their web site sucks. Always has and it hasn't changed in decades.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Motion has those ABEC-7's from FAG for a mere $1064. Each. Plus shipping.
But if I read the message right, $105 from Boca? That doesn't jive.

"Danger Will Robinson! Danger!"
Thanks given by:
That jibes perfectly with my experience with bearings and OEMs. A couple of years ago, I did 2 bottom end engine rebuilds on 2 different bikes, and the OEM bearings were going to be nearly $1500 per bike, and by visiting a local industrial bearing house, I got nearly all the bearings for under $400.
Thanks given by: