Help Collets: to rack or not to rack
Question 
I have a set of 5C collets.  They came in a box in those 2 piece square plastic tubes in which they ship things like this.  Inside, each collet is in a plastic bag with the usual red goo rust preventative.  I've only used/opened a few of the 18 piece set so far.

So, should I store them in the tubes or make a rack?  I don't use them often enough that I need them to hand, but those racks sure look nice.  Do I run the risk of the dreaded r-word (rust!) if they're out in the open?  Is there any point in making a rack if I don't use the collets frequently?
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Maybe compromise and make a rack just big enough to hold the ones you use most often and store the rest in their original tubes. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
If you pick up a 1 5/16" Forstner bit, it will make it easy to make a rack out of a piece of 2x10 or 2x12. 1 1/4" bits will work the first day, but the wood will shrink and clamp tightly on the collets. Bin dere, dun dat.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I am in the same boat with my 5C collets. I don't use them very often so I keep mine in the protective plastic tubes in order of smallest to largest and they are readily accessible when needed. If I used them more I would have them in a rack like the R8 mill collets.

Mike.

Thanks given by:
(11-16-2015, 05:19 PM)rleete Wrote: Is there any point in making a rack if I don't use the collets frequently?

How ironic. I keep my 5C collets in the original containers in my "machining" toolbox because they don't get used all that often. I bought several new R-8 collets some time ago in odd sizes (32nds) that I have needed once in a blue moon. Problem is I'm all out of room in the toolbox (again) so the R-8's got stuck in a rack anyway. Bash
Willie
Thanks given by:
A wooden collet rack is good, but I prefer HDPE.  Still soft enough not to damage the collets and lasts much longer than wood.
Thanks given by:
(11-17-2015, 10:41 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: A wooden collet rack is good, but I prefer HDPE.  Still soft enough not to damage the collets and lasts much longer than wood.

Where do you get your HDPE? When I was looking for reasonably thick pieces I was unpleasantly suprised by the price.
Thanks given by:
How about a large cutting board? They're HDPE and cheap. eg. Target has a set of 3 (8x11, 99x13 and 11x16) for $8.99. You could make alot of collet rack outta that. Prolly even get 'em cheaper at Walmart since Target isn't exactly the cheapest place around.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: