question about my rt
Hi all,

So my question is regarding the divisions at the base of my rt, they are from 0 to 0 360 divisions.

So am I correct in assuming that 180 is 1/2 way around and so on?

The reason I ask is I have to make a bushing out of round stock and 1/3 of the way down the od needs to be 11/16" hex.

As you can see my rt dose not fit squarely on my little mill.

JerryPopcorn

P.S. All helpful input is welcome please.Worthy
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Jerry,

With 360 tick marks that would indicate they're 1 degrees per tick mark so yes, 180 would be half way, 90 = 1/4 way, 270 = 3/4 way, etc....

Ed
Thanks given by:
You got it Jerry. Smiley-eatdrink004

For your hex, cut a flat - rotate 60°, cut a flat - rotate 60° etc., etc.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Wait guys, if I read correctly he's not arguing about how many degrees are in a circle, he said :-

(04-12-2012, 01:30 PM)ETC57 Wrote: As you can see my rt dose not fit squarely on my little mill.

JerryPopcorn

P.S. All helpful input is welcome please.Worthy
Jerry, I'm sorry but from that photo I cannot see that your rt does not fit squarely on your machine. Please elaborate.
Steve
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I believe Jerry is referring to establishing the "zero" mark on his ro-tab to align with the X or Y axis on his machine table. Notice how the hand wheel (and indicator plate) is sitting at a 45° angle to the table travel?

It doesn't need to be square to the table though to cut equal features that will run the full 360° on a simple part. You can start at any point as long as no one particular feature needs to aligned at a specific point on the part.

As long as you have equal divisions, 0 - 60 - 120 - 180 - 240 - 300 it will come out OK no matter which way "zero" is pointing when you begin.

I have the same issues on my drill press table. The spacing of the T-slots don't jive with the spacing of the mounting tabs on my ro-tab or my indexer. Standards? What standards??? Sadno

Of course I could be totally wrong (sure wouldn't be the first time) and Jerry means something else entirely! Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yup Willie,

You hit the nail right on the head!

By the way I got it done see.

Jerry.Popcorn
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2012, 09:23 PM)ETC57 Wrote: By the way I got it done see.

Jerry.Popcorn

I never had a doubt Jerry! Smiley-signs107

Now..... What is it??? I can't really tell the size from the pictures, but it looks like a spark plug tube nut to me?
Willie
Thanks given by:
OOOOOOO that!!Big Grin

Well it's a lower steering column bushing for a riding lawnmower,

the hex head is how the manufacture decided to keep it from spinning.

There is a corresponding hole in the chassis that it fits in to.

The original bushing is nylon and impossible to get, this should out live the mower!

Thank's guy' for all your help!!!Worthy

Jerry.Popcorn
Thanks given by:
Jerry,

Nice one Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
You have to love these over engineered fixes, I do them all the time too. Some day an archaeologist will dig up a rusted pile of junk, with one beautifully preserved bushing. Nice work Jerry.

Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: