vise jaws
So, I have a Kurt A-50 (yes, it's an A-50, not a D-50!) and the jaws have a few small dings, which MIGHT be causing some tightening issues. (I discovered that the head was very slightly out of tram, so that probably contributed, as well.

New jaws from Kurt are close to $150. Local grinding shops are quoting the same (minimum charge) to grind them.

I found someone on eBay selling a pair of UNHARDENED (1018) jaws for about $40. Of course, I could make a pair myself, I guess. But if I decide not to, am I pissing money away on these? I've already emailed him to ask of they are ground, or just machined surface.

Or, does anybody out there have a surface grinder and would be willing to do it for less?   Thumbsup
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Can you hit it with a flat stone? Soft steel jaws will ding fast but what the heck.
For $150 you might find a surface grinder. There's one for $600 on seattle.craigslist that they will deliver. They want it gone! Offer $200 for it and you want the chuck too.
Thanks given by:
Just what I need. Another tool I don't know how to use!

But in any case, the 480 3-phase is the killer. I don't think I can get there from 220 single-phase.

I'll try the stone. Thanks for the tip.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
They're not hard to learn. There are no (real) feeds or speeds to set, but you do have to pick a wheel. Operating one is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head, it takes a little practice. Yes it would need another motor (mine uses an old pump motor). Or keep looking, surface grinders are pretty handy. They can be set up for some tool grinding too. The end of endmills for example.

There's also a product known at 4140HT. It's also called half-hard or pre-hard and is between soft and hardened steel. Cut to size and drill some holes.
More info: http://www.speedymetals.com/information/Material62.html

They sell it in plate, but for some reason I can't get to their pricing today..
http://www.speedymetals.com/showproduct....uctid=1493
Thanks given by:
That 4140 looks interesting. Online Metals only has it in round and hex, but Grainger sells it in bar stock, not TOO expensive.
Mike

Thanks given by:
(11-07-2015, 06:36 PM)wawoodman Wrote: That 4140 looks interesting. Online Metals only has it in round and hex, but Grainger sells it in bar stock, not TOO expensive.

Check McMaster-Carr. I'll bet they are cheaper than Grainger. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
I can drive to Grainger. I'm sure that the shipping from MMC would not be cheap.
Mike

Thanks given by:
(11-07-2015, 10:10 PM)wawoodman Wrote: I can drive to Grainger. I'm sure that the shipping from MMC would not be cheap.

Actually, their shipping is not that bad. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Make sure it's hardened, it also comes soft.
Thanks given by:
Ejicate me, please!

Speedy metals shows the 4140 as Cold rolled, annealed. They also have de-carb free, both annealed and heat treated.

Annealed means softened, right? So that isn't what I want?

What is de-carb?

Would this be a good choice for a tangential tool holder? (Another, future project...)

And getting back to the original question I posted. I cleaned and reassembled the vise, lightly stoned a ding or two, and trammed the mill head with my new Shars cylinder square. The vise is holding a lot better, so new jaws may not be needed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragment. This is a great forum!
Mike

Thanks given by: