It followed me home ...
Ok, there was a small monetary incentive [$500] but ...

Its a K O Lee S714.

The management staff is wondering why I did not get a better looking one. "How much is a new one?" When I told her she thought this one was started to look much better.

The motor has new bearings and belts and everything moves very smoothly. I'm going to try and clean it up a little before I move it into the basement.

And I need to find manuals for it. The only thing that seems to be available is the parts manual ... but the parts are no longer available so maybe it should go in the fiction aisle of the book store. But there is mention of a "lubrication manual" but nothing available to download.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
Nice score Arvid. $500 is the limit I have set for a surface grinder and they always seem to go for much more. Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh, and You Suck

Ed
Thanks given by:
Wow, nice machine!

That one definitely earned you a couple of You Suck You Suck You Suck

Is that ball ways or traditional V ways? I would think the latter because of the diameter of the recip handwheel.

For some reason I actually prefer those surface grinders with the elevation handwheel up high and to the right, my own has it down low.

It's kind of funny that almost every surface grinder made seems to be a "right hand" machine by placing the recip handwheel on the left, while the other two are operated by the right hand.

So are you going to give it an "eBay rebuild" (throw a coat of paint on it)?
Thanks given by:
Agreed.   You Suck   You Suck   You Suck 

Cool
Willie
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2015, 01:28 PM)EdK Wrote: Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Ed

It was on Craig's List. It had been on there for a long time, with poor pictures ... not that it looks like new in person Smile  ... was in New Prague ... which probably turned most everyone in the Twin Cities off but is only 25 minutes south of my house ... and was listed at $700.

I went down to see it last Sunday. He really wanted it out of his garage so we negotiated and here it is.

It included a magnetic vice, two extra grinding wheels and a diamond point wheel truing fixture.

I'll have to figure out what kind of coolant\lubricant I should be using. The tank about 2/3rds full. And I'll need to determine what kind of lubricant to put into the reservoir under the table. I can see my Enco budget going to heck already.  

(08-29-2015, 01:41 PM)PixMan Wrote: Is that ball ways or traditional V ways? I would think the latter because of the diameter of the recip handwheel.

So are you going to give it an "eBay rebuild" (throw a coat of paint on it)?

It has V ways. 

The "rebuild" will be to wipe as much of the grunge off it as I can before I move it to the basement tomorrow. No sense in trying to apply paint as the terms "clean, dry and oil free" will not apply. Then replace the electrical box on the back with one big enough to hold two VFD's ... one for the 1 hp 3ph grinder motor and one for the 1/12 hp 3ph pump ... and some additional rewiring.

The VFD's will increase my 'total cost to get it running' but I think I'll have a pretty decent surface grinder for under $750 total.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
Nice one Arvid ............ I think you have got yourself a good bargain  Thumbsup 
and of course You Suck   Smile 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice score Arvid.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I would use a small rotary phase converter for a surface grinder because:

1. Never overrev the spindle bearings or speed rating for the wheel.
2. Don't need variable speed for a surface grinder, always 3450 rpm.
3. One power supply feeds both 3 phase motors on the machine.

Your call though.
Thanks given by:
For what it's worth, I'm using #2 way lube on mine and some green synthetic water sol "grinding fluid" for coolant (seldom used, mostly grind dry). 3 phase motor swapped out for a single phase, works fine.

Surface grinders are handy. I wished and waited for years before finding one. It looks every bit as bad as yours, even worse! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: arvidj
I occasionally get an itch for a surface grinder.

you're not helping.   Rotfl
Thanks given by: