New addition to the family
New addition to the family . Vert and Horiz Band saw used and seasoned.

Juts got back from picking up my belated fathers day gift … Its Not a Jet what as I was expecting , but still got a good deal . I was going to be a new HF 4.5 for fathers day ended up doin quick search on craigs list and found this one . Its Rong Fong 4x 5 vice opens up to 6-1/2 not bad it operates in 45' and 90' . That I didnt expect on this particular model . That was the one reason I was floored and bragged last week when he said it was Jet sorry guys. Ohh but I did get a free pipe vice out of the deal

Anyways its all good.. Picked it up locally from an old machinist. The stand needs some beefin up blade guides need to be adjusted and a new set of wheels but other than that cuts like a charm. He put a new motor on it has a good bi metal blade .Eventho I want to dig in right now and put a pull handle belt shoud Ill prob fix er up when I get round to it as I still havent finished my bench project yet . She is going to be parked right in front of bench and gets wheeled out when I need the room. As my bike will be parked 4' from it  no chances  one or the other goes outside.  If its raining ill  use the saw with my hat ....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Lookin good Kenny! In fact it looks alot like my HF. When you go to do the wheels, look at the wheel mods for the HF, they'll give more stability. Also keep ahold of it when you go from horiz to vert, it can flip over. Don't ask me how I know.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
If I was the guess, I'd say that one appears to have an uprated motor. It looks huge on that machine.

The belt guard and it's fixings being missing is a telling sign as well.
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2015, 05:34 PM)Vinny Wrote: Lookin good Kenny!  In fact it looks alot like my HF.  When you go to do the wheels, look at the wheel mods for the HF, they'll give more stability.  Also keep ahold of it when you go from horiz to vert, it can flip over.  Don't ask me how I know.
hey Vinny does your HF tilt 90 degrees and did it come with a table ?

and don't worry bout me flippin it... this machines center weight aint too bad . Im gona add weight to the front when I beef it up anyways .. as far as the wheels im going slap on lawn mower wheels maybe put a 4x4 wood base with a through axle .
next im gona steel the roller bearings and all the brass bushings he put on it. IMO Good parts wasted on the wheels. Big Grin

Only gota roll it out 4 feet don't need nutin special
Thanks given by:
Wink 
(06-28-2015, 07:20 PM)PixMan Wrote: If I was the guess, I'd say that one appears to have an uprated motor. It looks huge on that machine.

The belt guard and it's fixings being missing is a telling sign as well.

Yup no need beffin that up, nor messin w/ it not even changing speed for that matter ,it works fine juts the way it is . Less hackin on a big project get to drink a cold one and take a break while I watch it do the cutting
Thanks given by:
I have the same saw. Mine is missing the belt guard too, as they are flimsy plastic and I busted mine transporting it Slaphead I keep meaning to fabricate a metal one but it hasn't happened yet...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
You really should be changing speed for various materials, and changing blade tooth pitch for various cross-section thickness that you cut. Within reason of course. You can't have every type of blade in every pitch any more than you could have every insert for every job. Two blades work really well for me, a 4-6 mixed tooth (course) and a 10-14MT (medium) in a bimetal covers everything I've ever needed.

I use the coarse pitch for anything over a 1" cross section, and the finer one for structural things like angle iron and tubing.
Thanks given by:
To the last detail, same saw as my 1980 Jet. Color, motor and all. Mine has a metal belt guard that just snaps on. The saw works better than I thought it would for the money spent. Bought it new and it works today as well as it ever has.

I have a smaller vice that sometimes goes 90 degrees into the saw vice. I can darn near cut a penny in half edgewise with that setup. Makes good use of small drops.
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2015, 10:10 PM)Kennyv Wrote:
(06-28-2015, 05:34 PM)Vinny Wrote: Lookin good Kenny!  In fact it looks alot like my HF.  When you go to do the wheels, look at the wheel mods for the HF, they'll give more stability.  Also keep ahold of it when you go from horiz to vert, it can flip over.  Don't ask me how I know.
hey Vinny does your HF tilt 90 degrees and did it come with a table ?

and don't worry bout me flippin it... this  machines center weight aint too bad . Im gona add weight to the front when I beef it up anyways .. as far as the wheels im going slap on lawn mower wheels maybe put a 4x4 wood base with a through axle .
next im gona steel the roller bearings and all the brass  bushings he put on it. IMO   Good parts wasted on the wheels. Big Grin

Only gota roll it out 4 feet don't need nutin special

Yes, it does 90 degrees and came with a table. I got rid of the axle altogether and put 1x6 PT (all I had) on the front and back and mounted actual locking castors on it. The flipping happens if you allow the saw assembly to stand up by itself. The momentum and sudden stop will flip it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(06-29-2015, 09:17 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: To the last detail, same saw as my 1980 Jet. Color, motor and all. Mine has a metal belt guard that just snaps on. The saw works better than I thought it would for the money spent. Bought it new and it works today as well as it ever has.

I have a smaller vice that sometimes goes 90 degrees into the saw vice. I can darn near cut a penny in h alf edgewise with that setup. Makes good use of small drops.
Glad to hear that sounds like a Gem so I ended up with what I wanted anyways ... Zgood stuff I like the project to make it look better only doin the necessities .Today I came up with game plan its gona cost me $9.00 total to refurb it . yes im spending 9 bucks total for new wheels ...lol......

have the wood ( from a cutoff) for reinforcement of base , ( both F & R) using 4x4 and 1-1/2 angle iron, with optional bolt down front leg, making a single axle or double ended stud for wheel mounting. Have that kinda stuff laying around.
( However taking off wheel bearings , brass bushings and the axle bolts) I will them use on another project...
making at a later date a belt cover .. Coffee cans or alum sheet or whatever with a hinge. Making a pull push handle out of SS Rod . Adding a lug for a free weight on front to add front weight of base just in case . (Always listen to Vinnies mistakes.)
replacing plastic vice handle wheel with an old spare alum wheel handle. Will mod shaft bore diam put , bushing if need be. forgot what it looked like but know I have it laying around . Using left over black primer paint someone left at shop from another project.
ill paint all original painted surfaces less, hardware , motor , gear box plate , machine tag and motor. Maybe not motor mount cuz I like the fact its different now and it has been modiphied.. that's my idea for now don't hold me to it, it may change if I decide to be more creative .
I like things practical useful and simple and rigid .. Btw there is nothing the saw needs now to operate but a piece of stock in it to cut off. another words it works fine as is . The mods are to make me happy . The only reason for color change is Bc im gona paint my 45 year old Beer/ bait fridge and hardware cabinet gun metal black next. I fig it will keep shop uniform .

Ok time for me to finish my grinder bench two more shelf's and im home free ..... spending way too much talking bout what im gona do...
Thanks given by: