Band saw blades question
I picked up a HF 4x6 horiz/vert band saw and wanted to know what you guys are using for a replacement for the cheap blade that comes with it. Are the bi-metal ones worth it? I will be cutting mostly steel and the bigger sizes and not to much small stuff if at all.
Thanks,
Paul
pjf134, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Yes the bi metal blades are worth it. I have cut hundreds of thousands of parts on my 3 4x6 saws. My fav blade is a 10t on the thicker steel and the 14t on the thinner tubing...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Paul

I use and sell mostly the 10-14 Vari-Pitch Bi-Metal blades for those saws. Gives the best overall preformance in medium materials. I also sell a 6-10 for thicker section material.

The Bi-Metal blades outlast the HSS by many times and well Carbon steel blades aren't worth putting on the saw.

The Vari-Pitch helps to prevent harmonics from developing in the blade during cutting.

Very much worth it.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by: aametalmaster
I have just had a couple of special length (59.5") varipitch bimetal blades made up for my old Black & Decker vertical hobby bandsaw, and it cuts through rough hot rolled steel as though it isn't there.

I am very impressed indeed.

John
Thanks given by:
Bi-metal blades are definitely worth it. You can get them from Enco for $15 with free shipping.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTP...PK240-4930

I bought two of those about two years ago and am still using the first one. I mostly cut steel and occasionally aluminum. I use this stuff as a cutting lubricant when I don't want to cut dry.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTP...NO=8904695

Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2012, 10:58 PM)pjf134 Wrote: Are the bi-metal ones worth it?

The vote is now: (including mine)
Yea - 5
Nay - 0

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Vote, what vote, no one told me about a vote.
Count me in Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
It's now Yea - 7
Nay - 0
Counting Dave'n Me
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Let's make that an even 8 on the Yea

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2012, 12:02 AM)starlight_tools Wrote: The Vari-Pitch helps to prevent harmonics from developing in the blade during cutting.

Very much worth it.

Walter

I wondered what the vari pitch was for. We have a huge chinese saw at work and that thing just "sings" all day long. The teeth are so big i could use it on my bandsaw lumber mill in my dreams :)...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by: