Surface grinder books ?
I have one of those little 6x12 surface grinders that everyone else has

I bought it out of a school twenty years ago and have never set it up properly

I swapped the three phase motor for a single phase back before vfd's ere popular and cheap, so .75 HP and maybe not as balanced as the original was.

I've mounted a wheel and done some things but none of them come out straight because nothing is set up

I'm sure it's all my lack of knowledge rather than the fault of the machine.

Is there a good book that covers everything from basic setup to wheel selection and setups

I'd love to sharpen endmills and cutters drills and such

I like real paper books, but I love those free pdf's of the old books too so either one suits me fine.
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2015, 05:36 PM)12345678910 Wrote: I have one of those little 6x12 surface grinders that everyone else has

I wish!

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2015, 05:38 PM)EdK Wrote:
(03-16-2015, 05:36 PM)12345678910 Wrote: I have one of those little 6x12 surface grinders that everyone else has

I wish!

Ed

+1 on the 'I wish!'
Thanks given by:
Im sure you're doing everything correct and its totally the grinders fault. Send it to me for disposal.
Vaguely remember using on in high school, not sure when I'd use it but would like to find one. 16 inch travel would be nice to do my planer blades.
You probably need the South Bend lathe book equivalent for grinders.
Good luck
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Well you said no PDF's, but this site by Norton probably cannot be beat:

http://www.nortonindustrial.com/Grinding...sives.aspx
Thanks given by:
Something that causes grief is the magnetic chuck holding thin parts. The chuck will pull your part flat down, but it springs back into a curve when released. Is that what you mean by "straight"? Try using paper shims.

Single phase conversion here too. Works fine. Smile
Thanks given by:

Hah ! I'm not cutting 6" of mine for anyone   Smiley-dancenana

If you can be bothered watching YouTube there's some good stuff on CTEplus, there's a lot of heavy stuff but there are some good ones suitable for us newbies.

Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2015, 07:39 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Something that causes grief is the magnetic chuck holding thin parts. The chuck will pull your part flat down, but it springs back into a curve when released. Is that what you mean by "straight"? Try using paper shims.

Single phase conversion here too. Works fine. Smile

Start off using a tool makers vise to do one side.  This should raise the part far enough to minimize/eliminate the pull of the magnet.

Or, if you're really feeling brave/lucky/bullet proof start with double sided tape and do not turn on the magnet.
Thanks given by: