Work Bench Tool Organizing
Well latest project is to find the workbench, or at least organize the tools hanging on the back wall that are used regularly.

Now my back wall is made from Slat-Wall. Peg board may have been better as the holes are spaced out better with adjustability every 1" but the slat wall was priced right "Free" Also dirt does not get behind slat wall as it can with the peg board holes.

Now either peg board or slat wall hooks are not really meant to have pieces taken off and put on regularly as the hooks fall out easily unless they are strapped in with the special little clips. Peg board hooks are even worse when used with slat wall.

So, to organize all my wrenches, imperial and metric I started by laying out the wrenches in a row on hooks to get the proper spacing.

For the hanger, I used 1/4 x 1 FB, 6 feet long (ie the length of the bench) I laid out the spacing as per what was determined by the first step, rounding up to even numbers so spaced out about 1" longer in the end.

I then set the mill up so that a 13/64 drill bit was centred over the 1" wide FB and proceeded to drill each increment. Then went back and taped each hole 1/4-20 NC. I also drilled holes about ever 2 feet for mounting screws.

Next step was to cut 1/4" diameter round bar to 3-1/4" long pieces. Face and lightly file a round on each end, then thread each piece on one end 1/4-20 NC by 5/16" long.

These pieces were threaded into the flat bar and tightened as best as could be done by hand, then the bar was turned over and the backs peened to prevent unthreading. I am sure locktite would have worked fine, but peening worked. Another option would have been press fit for the pin holes and spot weld each pin from the back.

Now I installed the rack but found that hammering on the bench caused the wrenches to fall off, so took the rack down and clamped as many fingers in the vise as I could, using a spacer block of about 1/2" thick to make sure all the pins stuck up equal amounts, then with 12" Crescent Wrench proceeded to bend each pin about 20 degrees. Used a straight edge to make sure they were all bent and aligned about the same. NB Make sure they are bent facing up!

Sorry but my daughter had borrowed my camera while I was making them so only pictures of finished project.

Also some pins were made by cutting down 1/4" bolts when I ran out of 1/4" RB.

It is fairly often that you need to grab two of the same size wrench, especially 1/2, 9/16 and 10 mm, so having more than one hanging is needed. Also there are Gear-Wrenches in short and long, regular combination wrenches and long combination wrenches, so depending on what is needed they are there for easy pickin'.

Left box end and open end in drawer of tool box as the combo's are more of the go-to.

The spacing I worked out is:

6 holes at 2" apart, next 4 at 1-1/2", next 7 at 1-1/4", 1 at 1-1/2", 2 at 2", 10 at 1-1/4", 5 at 1-1/2", 2 at 1-3/4" and final hole at 2"

I could have tightened this up by about a 1/16th per hole, but this made layout a bit easier. Also you want a bit a space between tools so they are not bouncing together.

This Layout gives from 1-1/4" to 1/4" imperial combos and 7 mm to 24mm metric combos along with the 10, 8 and 12" Crescent Wrenches.

Next project find room and organize the screw drivers.

Ok so got the screwdriver rack figured out and the workbench almost cleaned up.

Stock was 2 x 2 x 0.100 Tubing that has holes drilled every inch. It was a bit short for the bench so used a 1-3/4 x 1-3/4 tube inside as a stiffener then welded together. I wanted 5 feet long as the bench is six feet long, but needed clearance to swing the goose neck lights. I redrilled the holes in the splice area. Bent up two brackets to hang the tube from the slat-wall then welded them on in convenient locations.

Some of the holes were fitted with reducing bushings to prevent small items from just dropping through.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2012, 09:38 PM)starlight_tools Wrote: Now either peg board or slat wall hooks are not really meant to have pieces taken off and put on regularly as the hooks fall out easily unless they are strapped in with the special little clips. Peg board hooks are even worse when used with slat wall.

Walter

i agree. it for me is rather hard to take seriously someone that has peg board in their shop. its absolutely useless.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
im willing to revert to fisticuffs on the matter.
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2012, 10:12 PM)mikecwik Wrote: im willing to revert to fisticuffs on the matter.

Mike

Peg board and slat wall have it's uses. In some ways a piece of 3/4" plywood and a bunch of screws may be better, but does not take long to end up with a mess of holes if you are moving around the tools.

My shop is very small and I have to use every available inch of space, both floor and wall. There are no blank walls, as it has to have things hanging on it.

With the proper hangers, things stay put and it works really well, so sorry but I really can't turn my nose up at a shop that uses either.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
It's true,Slaphead I rarely take my self too seriously!Big GrinBig Grin

Jerry.Popcorn

ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I am in the same situation, too small a workshop for too much machinery and tooling.

I call my walls 'vertical benchspaces'

Because my disabilities are getting worse, at this time, whenever I can get a few minutes in my shop, I am making it more to my way of working, lowering shelves so that they can be reached whilst still sitting, and having most used tools lower down, and items that are rarely used higher up. Plus, like on my lathe, tools that are used in the tailstock, are at the tailstock end, and vice versa for the headstock.
It does take a lot of pre-planning, but I am hoping that this rearrangement will last me until the end.

Here, I have just fitted boards around my bench, not only to hang my most used tools on, but it should stop most of the swarf from my machinery ending up on the bench. The upper shelves have yet to be sorted out, they will get done over the coming months.

[Image: Shopfix01.jpg]

I have now finished making what tools I want to fit the tailstock on the lathe (well almost), so a place for each tool, and each tool in it's place, there are a few hidden extra spare holes, just in case.

[Image: Shopfix02.jpg]

I don't even have room on the walls to hang my plans, so a slideaway plan table has been installed. This has a gap between the bottom of the bench top and the table itself, so that after the plans are 'stuck down', small parts that are made can be placed on top of the plan and slid away for safe keeping.

[Image: Shopfix04.jpg]

You may have noticed my new little helper, he is a 'teacup' Jack Russell called Turpin, and has taken over from my sidekick for the last eight years, my mate Bandit, whose picture is in my avatar, he has gone into retirement, lazing about the house, dreaming of bones and chasing butterflies (his favourite pastime when out for a walk, he must have murdered at least a dozen in the time he has been with me).
All Bandit ever wanted to do is be with me in the shop, catch a few spiders and moths and generally keep out of my way.
Turpin is a totally different mutt. He can get into places I never knew existed in my shop, and waits, watching every move I make, ready to pounce on anything that falls onto the floor. Paper gets shredded instantly, but tiny parts and tools he can carry are transported instantly to his bedspace. Very handy if I do drop a small part, I know exactly where to find it.

John
Thanks given by:
Can I get one of you guys to come over and organize my shop?

Bring a shovel...

p.s.

Better yet, bring a skid steer. Smiley-gen151
Willie
Thanks given by:
Someday I'll have an organized shop. I suspect that will have to wait until I retire though. Rolleyes

Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2012, 11:01 PM)starlight_tools Wrote:
(04-07-2012, 10:12 PM)mikecwik Wrote: im willing to revert to fisticuffs on the matter.

so sorry but I really can't turn my nose up at a shop that uses either.

Walter

probably my passionate dislike for it helped me choose some hasty words. im not even sure why i cant stand it so much but taking a tool off of one just puts me in a bad mood right off. id rather dig through a pile of wrenches thrown in a drawer.
Thanks given by:
Mike,

I'm not a big fan of pegboard either. But, it does have its uses, just not in my shop. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by: