Harig way oil
Harig calls for Harig Way Oil  their part number 16211245 to lube the ways.  Has any one crossed this over to a more common lubricant?

I use chain saw bar oil on the ways of my lathe, but am concerned it would be too thick to be pumped though the system.

Thanks,

Stan
Thanks given by:
Stan,

I am not suggesting this is "The Final Answer" but at least it is something to think about ...

The warning on the third page of this ... http://www.trutechsystems.com/xcart/hari...rinder.pdf ... and a possible explanation of why it is recommended so strongly in the second post of this ... http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/view...p?p=144804.

Another link here ... http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gen...der-87976/ ... about using only the "right" oil.

I also ran across another post with a similar question ... what to use instead of the recommended oil. It seems the poster had tried to contact Harig to get the properly blessed oil but they did not return his phone calls or emails. YMMV.

What follows is possibly a tangent you do not want to go down ... you have been warned ...

However the fifth post suggests that Vaculine 1409 is what was recommended for the non-Harig grinder that he was rebuilding. Vaculine 1409 was 'the way oil to use' before Vactra-2 became 'the way oil to use'. Rumor has it that Vactra-2 is what Vaculine 1409 was with considerably less tackifiers added and therefore does not 'stick' on the ways as well as the 1409. In case you are wondering, I was only able to find 1409 in five gallon pails.
Thanks given by:
I worked in a shop that had a Hardinge Toolroom lathe and a Harig surface grinder and we used Vactra #2 in both of them. I'm sure they are still running just fine.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks everyone.  I looked at the MSDS for the lube and found it is made by Tower Oil and the absolute smallest container they will sell is 5 gallons (I think they'd rather sell a tank car full).  I've also looked around on the web for various suppliers of the recommended oil and discovered Harig is actually the  company with the lowest price.  That doesn't happen very often with a OEM.  So good for Harig.  I'll stay on the safe side and order from Harig tomorrow.

Stan
Thanks given by:
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why the way oil on a grinder should be any different from the way oil on a lathe or mill?

My surface grinder doesn't have a closed system, so I'm not worried about the sludge buildup that the PM post spoke of. I've tested the one shot lube with the slideway 68 way oil I have and it pumps it just fine.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-15-2015, 08:42 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why the way oil on a grinder should be any different from the way oil on a lathe or mill?

My surface grinder doesn't have a closed system, so I'm not worried about the sludge buildup that the PM post spoke of.  I've tested the one shot lube with the slideway 68 way oil I have and it pumps it just fine.

Unlike lathes & mills the Harig surface grinders have a built in oil pump to distribute the lube oil.  My first concern was the pump's ability or lack thereof to pump a heavy way oil.  In addition a too viscous lube would make the operation of the table difficult at best and possibly impossible.  The effect on the surface finish would go hand in hand with the table operation.
Thanks given by: Mayhem