Keyway Bushing
Here is something i pondered a while back. I have a keyway set that goes to 5/8" on the bushings. Now i needed a 7/8" one in a hurry. Do you wait untill Monday and order one or do your best and make do with what you already have. Yup thats what i did. I made a 7/8" bar with an offset 5/8" hole drilled in it real close to the edge. Using a 4 jaw chuck on my lathe for that step. Then i took the new soon to be bushing to my arbor press and used the same cutter to cut the slot in the side. Then i used the new bushing just like the others to make my keyway...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Hey, that's a pretty slick idea Bob! I'm going to have to remember that one.
Smiley-eatdrink004

I had to go the opposite way earlier this week. I needed to stuff a 1/4" C broach into a 3/4" bushing that I didn't have. I wimped out though, and got one from McMaster the next day... Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
That is a neat idea Bob.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Bob,

That is a good one to remember. SmileSmileSmile

Willie, Bob

I'm sure some of us on here haven't really seen how to cut a key way using a broach.

Step by step photo's would be enlightening Smile

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That's cool, I've made a few special bushings but that seems a lot faster.
I'll try to file that away for future ref. (My files are great but the retrieval system is deteriorating).
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2012, 11:55 AM)DaveH Wrote: I'm sure some of us on here haven't really seen how to cut a key way using a broach.

Step by step photo's would be enlightening Smile

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave, in the interest of saving time - would a video do? Blush

Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

Yep, good video that SmileSmileSmile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice vid. Thanks...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Just let me go on record as suggesting to slather the entire broach with oil, and not just the cutting teeth.
Also clear the chips out of the teeth before making another pass if it needs more than one.

But that's just me... Smiley-gen163

In the next few days I'll post some pics of what NOT to do.... Smiley-signs125

BashBashBash
Willie
Thanks given by:
I've made bushings for broaching before, but instead of making an eccentric to use one inside the other, I just made the new one with a keyway in it.

Lets say I want to put a 1/4" keyway into a 7/8" bore. The only bushing in the kit is 3/4" diameter. I take that bushing and measure the width and the depth of the slot, then just transfer those measurements over and mill the same width and depth slot on the new 7/8" bushing.

Do you not have a milling machine or long end mills, Bob? How do you assure accurate polar orientation with the eccentric?
Thanks given by: