China 4" x 6" bandsaw -- blade keeps popping off...
I have one of the original "Smithy" bandsaws, bought used in 1995 or so. It was probably 10 years old by then.

In the last year it seems like the blade just pops off more often. New blades, spring tension adjusted full tight, bushings still good.

Only thing Ive noted is the wheels do have a bevel to it. Tapers away from the flange. Before I go and "trim" the cast iron wheel, wanted to ask if anyone else has seen that issue. Keep in mind this has had 25 years of service, but still frustrating to be fitting the blade popping off.

If I use the saw in vertical mode... everything works fine, only when I put it to horizontal mode does the blade have problems.
roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Tom,
Try checking on the Yahoo 4x6 group. They have a bunch of threads on curing these types of problrms. There is also an excelent article in the files section on allignment and adjustment of the 4x6 saws.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/4x6b...s/messages

You'll have to register to download the article, but check them out.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 06:27 AM)chucketn Wrote: Tom,
Try checking on the Yahoo 4x6 group. They have a bunch of threads on curing these types of problrms. There is also an excelent article in the files section on allignment and adjustment of the 4x6 saws.

Thank You. This one is driving me nuts.... I'll review the articles when I get approved to the list.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 01:46 PM)roundrocktom Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 06:27 AM)chucketn Wrote: Tom,

Thank You. This one is driving me nuts.... I'll review the articles when I get approved to the list.

Tom

If it takes too long, let me know. I can e-mail it to you.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Got the checklist.... at the bottom was "make sure the drive wheel doesn't have any axial movement (in and out). Uh, it has always had about a 1/4" of slop since I got it (used).

Need to address that issue first, then see what else happens. Does explain why it worked fine in vertical mode (blade never pops off), but in horizontal very hit and miss (frustrating!)

Oh... got a bunch of drops. 2.5" thick by 8" diameter. I wonder what the longest sawzall blade I can buy is. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
It may need the angle of the free running wheel altering so the blade is pulled onto the wheel
mfletch, Try to do the best you can and that's good enough
Thanks given by:
Oh boy, driven wheel had 1/4" axial play. Upper had 0.150" play.
Took a while of trial and error to get both in same plane (good thing I had some 36" 1/4 x 1" 01 stock as a guide!).

Odd to see a brass drive gear (this is an old machine!)

Brass bushing should be good for another 20 years!

Thanks for the help.... just glad to have that saw running again!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 06:25 PM)roundrocktom Wrote: Odd to see a brass drive gear (this is an old machine!)

What's odd about a brass worm wheel (if that's what you mean by "drive gear") 17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 06:08 AM)stevec Wrote: What's odd about a brass worm wheel (if that's what you mean by "drive gear") 17428

Yes, worm wheel. Cost is higher than steel, most China imports use steel gears as they don't think of long lasting brass/steel meshing.

The 1968 Datsun L16 distributor used brass/steel..... by mid 1969 it was two steel gears. Cost reduction! (nothing new today!).
Thanks given by:
Glad you fixed it Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: