Lay down insert threading tools
I arrived home today to find my latest tool purchase had arrived.

This is a Carmex SIR 0025 R22 internal threading bar, which takes 22mm inserts. The bar is 25mm diameter x 200mm long. I have purchased this especially to make internal threads to match the 6tpi spindle on my lathe.

After discussing my needs and options with PixMan, I was not going to go this route, as inserts in this size cost more and it is more economical to use the 16mm inserts which cover 8 - 40 tpi and are cheaper. However, I picked this up off eBay for under $40 AUD. I have ordered two 22IR 6UN BMA ($13.75 ea), which should last me a while.

Having cut an external 7/8" x 14 thread using a ER16 insert at PixMan's Dad's shop I was sold on them. The finish is excellent. Whilst I have an external HSS threading tool, I would have to buy a HSS boring bar (would you believe my only boring bar is a 5/8" SCLCR bar that I found!) to cut internal threads.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
You must have one big lathe to be able to use a 1" shank threading tool on it. What lathe do you have?

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-29-2012, 06:48 AM)EdAK Wrote: You must have one big lathe to be able to use a 1" shank threading tool on it. What lathe do you have?

Well that is the $64,000,000 question Ed. To be honest I have no idea as to who made her or when. 36" swing over the gap, 18" over the ways and 60" length. I have a CA size QCTP. Check post #16

Now you know why my signature reads the way it does!
Thanks given by:
(03-29-2012, 07:39 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 06:48 AM)EdAK Wrote: You must have one big lathe to be able to use a 1" shank threading tool on it. What lathe do you have?

Well that is the $64,000,000 question Ed. To be honest I have no idea as to who made her or when. 36" swing over the gap, 18" over the ways and 60" length. I have a CA size QCTP. Check post #16

Now you know why my signature reads the way it does!

That is a big one. Nice job on the restore. Smiley-signs107

Ed
Thanks given by:
Mayhem,

I'm stuck on the first word Slaphead

What does a "Lay down insert ........." mean?

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
It is one of three configurations of threading inserts. I don't know all of the details of each but you can read more about them here http://www.doriantool.com/doriantool/index.php

One bonus is that I can go from a UN thread to a metric one or an ACME or buttress thread just by changing the insert (and possibly the anvil). Hopefully PixMan will stop by this thread and help out with the technicalities.
Thanks given by:
Far be it for me to tell another man that he has a nice tool, but....

That's one helluva nice threading bar and I envy you that. I'm limited to just the ER/IR 16 size inserts for now. I can envision adding the larger 22's when the right tool appears on Ebay for the right price.

DaveH, if there's anything you wish to know about the triangular lay-down threading inserts I'm happy to help. I will tell you this: It can be expensive to get into them, and you have to weight the cost-benefit ratio for your own situation. The benefits include beautiful, perfectly ISO/ANSI-compliant threads (when using full-form pitch-specific inserts), and reliable performance.

Apart from the pitch-specific full-form (a.k.a. "cresting") inserts, there are A60/AG60/G60 "partial profile" inserts that are capable of making threads of a wide range of pitch, though the sacrifice is that they have a .002" (A60 & AG60) or .007" (G60) tip radius and they don't create the thread height themselves as the full-form ones do. The A60 or AG60 are the ones to have no matter what, so you're not stuck not being able to make a thread if you don't have the perfect cresting insert on hand.

That should be enough to generate questions!

Ken
Thanks given by:
Hi Ken,

It is the term "lay down" I had't come across before. I'm still not sure what it means.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Ya know one of these days I'm gona catch up to you guys,

between all the numbers and terms I've never heard of and all the tools I still don't have you guy's keep me hopping that's for sure!!Whip(LOL)

Just keep at it, caus I amBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ken. That was an eBay purchase from a seller in Israel.

I could be wrong Dave but I think it is because you have to go and have a lay down and a cup of tea to cope with the excitement you experience by the threads you produce.

I had to turn a 5/8 x 11 thread today and whilst I did it fine with a HSS bit, the results were nowhere near as good. Here is the 7/8 x 14 thread that I cut using PixMan's full form lay down insert. That is how the insert cut the thread. There was no filing or other cleaning once it was cut.

Thanks given by: