Wellsaw model 8 question
Hi all, I just picked up an old Model 8 Wellsaw and would like to replace the 3 phase motor with a single phase, The tag on the motor is in bad shape and I can't find what the motor frame type is. I've visited the Wellsaw sight but have not found any info on motors. I do know the the motor on mine is a 1/2 hp Peerless but that's all I've been able to find. Have any of you replaced the motor on one of these saws? What motor did you use? Is there a motor out there with the correct mount? If all else fails I may use an inverter so I can keep the saw as mobile as possible. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

South Bend lathe
Bridgeport mill
Powermatic drill press
Wellsaw model 8 bandsaw
Thanks given by:
I think (don't quote me on this) that someone else on here had the same type motor and they made a new mount for a replacement motor, not sure but I don't think you will find one like that around.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: cast iron
(12-22-2013, 04:39 PM)dallen Wrote: I think (don't quote me on this) that someone else on here had the same type motor and they made a new mount for a replacement motor, not sure but I don't think you will find one like that around.

Thanks dallen, I figured it would be a reach. I'll probably just get the the motor checked out to make sure it's worth an investment then get a little TECO fm50 inverter for it.
South Bend lathe
Bridgeport mill
Powermatic drill press
Wellsaw model 8 bandsaw
Thanks given by:
As accessible as that motor is, it would take much work to adapt most any motor to it. Find the best deal you can on CraigsList and fabricate a mount to suit.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-22-2013, 05:18 PM)TomG Wrote: As accessible as that motor is, it would take much work to adapt most any motor to it. Find the best deal you can on CraigsList and fabricate a mount to suit.

Tom

Smiley-signs009 Tom, if you meant wouldn't, that is.Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Sometimes I type faster than I thnik. Big Grin
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
So do I Tom, So I proofread and edit often, even then, errors (my strong point) show through.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: