Carkson T&C Grinder
"I work on the basis of if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I was dumb enough to put this in my last post. Well, I made the "small bit holder" for my Clarkson T&C, I went to try it out and guess what, the magic white smoke escaped! "notchy" bearings had gone too far. So I've been obliged to change the bearings and the motor.

I had gathered together the bits to make a two speed set up with a 380volt three phase motor. When I looked more closely, I found a very UN-original belt and pulley set up. I wasn't getting the 4000rpm spindle speed with the pulleys as was.

[Image: aswas_zpsd5cdff33.jpg]

[Image: spindle_zps4cb01276.jpg]

The spindle had been modified, the threaded portion of the pulley end had been removed, the other end had been shortened by about half an inch and two 1/16" sleeves had been added to accommodate oversize bearings. Fortunately, the original bearing diameters had been left standard so I turned off the sleeves and replaced the with the bearings I'd bought in advance!

2 x'MJ 7/8' or 'RMS7':-
ID=7/8th inch, 22.225mm
OD=2.25 inch, 57.15mm
WIDTH=11/16th inch (0.6875 inch), 17.463mm
I fabricated a pivoting motor mount to accommodate the different pulley sizes

[Image: mount1_zps20c576da.jpg]

[Image: mount3_zps9892306b.jpg]
By using a 40 tooth and a 60 toothed pulley on the motor driveing 28 toothed pulleys at 2800rpm, my spindle speed can be either 4000rpm or 6000rpm, well within the limits of the greased bearing specification.
[Image: pullies_zpsac20e852.jpg]

One of the pulleys I turned out the inside to be able to use the other as a hub to fit them to the spindle
[Image: pulleys_zps4fbd7db5.jpg]

I did the same thing with the 40 and 60 toothed pulleys, but I forgot to take pictures!
[Image: final_zps581e7012.jpg]
6000rpm position

[Image: final3_zps581e7012.jpg]
Belt change.

[Image: final2_zpsb6e914cd.jpg]
4000rpm position

I found the adjuster mechanism difficult to photograph, I placed the pivot at the bottom so that there would not be much of a changing the level of the pulleys allowing the belt guard to work unmodified. The adjustment of the belt uses a split cotter which allows quick "spanner" free speed changes.

[Image: adjuster_zps16e64f0b.jpg]

[Image: adjuster3_zps642980a5.jpg]

[Image: adjuster5_zpsa6b39498.jpg]

[Image: adjuster2_zps39fc5e06.jpg]

[Image: adjuster_zps16e64f0b.jpg]

[Image: contacter_zpsdebbb895.jpg]

Last but not least, the contacter with the red button a knee height!

Yes a lick of paint is in order, but the essential is there! it works!

Regards, Matthew
mattinker, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Nicely done Matthew! Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice job Matthew, and it works!

Perhaps a video demonstration is in order when you get it all set up.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom
(07-27-2013, 09:47 AM)TomG Wrote: Nice job Matthew, and it works!

Perhaps a video demonstration is in order when you get it all set up.

Tom

Tom,

I haven't got into Video yet, I need a really simple Editor under Linux, and some time to learn! I do have a few video subjects in mind, I'm getting nearer!

Regards, Matthew
Thanks given by:
Most of us use Windows Movie Maker. It's not the best editor out there, but it gets the job done and it's free.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-27-2013, 10:01 AM)mattinker Wrote: ... I need a really simple Editor under Linux, and some time to learn! I do have a few video subjects in mind, I'm getting nearer!

Regards, Matthew

Matthew,

Here's a link to a list of video editors and what operating systems they work with. There are some for Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vid...g_software

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-27-2013, 10:49 AM)TomG Wrote: Most of us use Windows Movie Maker. It's not the best editor out there, but it gets the job done and it's free.

Tom
Tom,

I don't have windows so Windows Movie Maker won't work for me!

Yes, I need to find the time to get into video, there are quite a lot of free Video programs for Linux. Mostly a roundtoit problem.

Regards, Matthew
Thanks given by:
Quote:Matthew,

Here's a link to a list of video editors and what operating systems they work with. There are some for Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vid...g_software

Ed
Ed,

thanks for the info, I have to admit that it's mostly a roundtoit problem!

Regards, Matthew
Thanks given by:
Hi Matthew,
Sorry you are on -11 posts, that was my fault, a simple thing just to move a few posts seemed to go a bit wonky 17428 and you amassed -11 posts Chin
May be Ed can help to get you in the plus posts. Thumbsup

Nice job on the T&C Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave,
I'm not sure that I understand! Do people that contribute and therefore automatically receive a notification to a post continue being notified when the post is split up and moved?

Regards, Matthew

(07-27-2013, 06:28 PM)DaveH Wrote: Hi Matthew,
Sorry you are on -11 posts, that was my fault, a simple thing just to move a few posts seemed to go a bit wonky 17428 and you amassed -11 posts Chin
May be Ed can help to get you in the plus posts. Thumbsup

Nice job on the T&C Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: