Lubrication oils
I'm sure I have read somewhere that Hydraulic 32 oil is suitable for use as spindle/bearing/bushing oil but I cannot find the post at the moment (surfing on my phone).

Currently I am using way oil for all lubrication on my lathe, including the white metal bearings (it is over 100 years old). This advise was from a machinist that I know. I got a couple of litres from him and have used about half so far.

Now I have a mill, I actually have the recommended oils listed for lubrication of the x-feed gearbox, spindle, back gears, ways and screws.

The oil specified for the gearbox, spindle and back gears on the mill matches with Hydraulic 32 oil. For the ways and screws on the mills, the following oils are recommended:

Shell - Tonna 33
Esso PEN-O-LED-EP1
Vacuum - Vactra-2

I'm unsure if Vacuum Vactra 2 is similar to the Mobil Vectra 2, but I have asked a local supplier to provide me with an oil that meets the specs of these.

I'm hoping that the way oil for both machines will be the same and that the hydraulic 32 oil specified for the mill will also suit the lathe. Whilst I will probably still use the way oil for the lathe spindles, I will switch over to the same oil for bushings on the lathe that are needed for the spindle, gearbox and backgeas on the mill. The oil is cheaper to by in a 20L tub than it is to buy in 5L container (per litre).

If I can keep just two types of oil on hand, I will be happy. Am I expecting too much?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Mayhem,

I think asking an (oil) supplier is probably the best approach, they normally have lists of equivalent/comparative brands.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That is my plan Dave, as I have seen some x-over charts that contradict each other. I guess the point of this thread was to generate some discussion on whether each machine requires a specific oil, or whether there is a task specific oil that will cover a range of tasks.

For example, my understanding of a way oil is that is should stick to the surfaces it is applied to but not gum up or cause the surfaces to stick together. With that in mind, I cannot see how the ways of a lathe are different to a mill or a shaper etc. Perhaps I am being naive but I am guessing that a job specific oil can be used on multiple machines with out adversely affecting their importance.
Thanks given by:
I use Vactra 2 for everything on my lathe except the headstock and gear box. On the mill, I use Vactra 2 for everything except the gear head. I recently got a bottle of Vactra 4 for using on the vertical dovetails on the head column because the Vactra 2 would run off too easily. YMMV Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
I keep it simple ISO 32 for spindle bearings & Vactra 2 for the ways. Nothing has blown up yet.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. I read that they changed to formula for Vactra 2, removing the tackifiers (if that is a word) then added them back and called the oil a different name.
Thanks given by:
That's correct, and the new oil (old Vactra #2 with tackifiers) is Vacuoline 1409.
Thanks given by: Mayhem
I must admit, I am pretty ignorant of today's lube oil technology so in a feeble effort to educate me could anyone 'splain "tackifiers"?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Basically, it makes the oil 'tacky' so it sticks to the surfaces it comes in contact with. As you can imagine, this is desirable for a way oil.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Mayhem, I was wondering about that because I'm having a problem with my Lux- Matter 16x60 lathe headstock. One shifter handle, sorta the equivalent of "back gears" sticks. It's probably because it's not used that frequently.
The lever rotates a .5" (12.7mm) rod that travels to the rear of the headstock and the moves a shifter fork at what appears to be a mechanical disadvantage so it doesn't take much "tackiness" to make it bind.
When I got the machine the lever on the front of the headstock was gone and the shaft had been chewed up by a vise grip.
I replaced the rod and made a new lever but it still gets a bit cranky
(or maybe UNcranky) in a cold unheated shop.
I'm planning to drain the headstock and flush the splined shafts with some kind of solvent when the shop warms up. I'm hoping to find an oil that won't leave a "tacky" deposit to refill with.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: