Of all the tools I got....
...apparently a pair (or even a single) 5C collet block isn't one of them. :(

I had started a project to make a special pin spanner (wrench here in the US) to adjust the headset bearing on my motorcycle. It's going to be one that has six 3.5mm pins in the face with a center clearance pocket to avoid interference with the crown of the 38mm hex nut on the bike. At the 6 points of that 38mm hex are the mating 3.55mm holes, and I wanted my special wrench to fit both the hex (making it longer and the holes (giving it a secure attachment.)

[Image: IMG_1879-r_zpsb05bc87d.jpg]

I've made a blank on the lathe out of 303 stainless steel. I just need to pick up a collet block (hex, square or both) to grab onto the .150" long section of 1" diameter. That will allow me to mill the 38mm hex, the center relief contour and rough out the square drive at center.

I think Jeff @ Tools4Cheap.net has some economy ones that'll do. I just can't believe I've not needed them until now. I thought for sure those collet blacks were something I bought for my dad or he bought himself. If one of us did, neither can recall and I can't find them.

Oh well. Project on hold for a week or so. ;)
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 06:22 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...apparently a pair (or even a single) 5C collet block isn't one of them. :(

I had started a project to make a special pin spanner (wrench here in the US) to adjust the headset bearing on my motorcycle. It's going to be one that has six 3.5mm pins in the face with a center clearance pocket to avoid interference with the crown of the 38mm hex nut on the bike. At the 6 points of that 38mm hex are the mating 3.55mm holes, and I wanted my special wrench to fit both the hex (making it longer and the holes (giving it a secure attachment.)

[Image: IMG_1879-r_zpsb05bc87d.jpg]

I've made a blank on the lathe out of 303 stainless steel. I just need to pick up a collet block (hex, square or both) to grab onto the .150" long section of 1" diameter. That will allow me to mill the 38mm hex, the center relief contour and rough out the square drive at center.

I think Jeff @ Tools4Cheap.net has some economy ones that'll do. I just can't believe I've not needed them until now. I thought for sure those collet blacks were something I bought for my dad or he bought himself. If one of us did, neither can recall and I can't find them.

Oh well. Project on hold for a week or so. ;)

It ceases to amaze me that even after doing this for all these years.....you still find something you MUST have......in order to do something!

Wish I could help you out.....but no such animal here.

Later,
Russ
Thanks given by:
Here you go Ken.

https://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=5cblock

They sure are handy. I've been using them a lot lately.

Ed
Thanks given by: PixMan
Just what I need Ed, thanks!

I'll be heading over to Jeff's place the morning of the 20th, he's giving (I think) 10% off his standard offerings that day of his bi-annual "yard sale."

I could just hold it upright in the machine vise with the square one and get all the operations done in one setup. If I don't feel like using the CNC feature of my milling machine, I could do it in three ops by laying it down in the vise with the hex block and mill one flat at a time, then stand it up to put the pin holes in, then over to the lathe again for the counterbore.

Here's the part, up to the point I need one of those blocks.

[Image: IMG_1880-r_zps91f50357.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1882-r_zps0829446b.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1883-r_zps8406d2ec.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So you're making a female hex? If so, why not hold your stock in a V-block, do your milling ops, then finish up in the lathe? Maybe I'm not seeing exactly what you're trying to do.
Thanks given by:
No Russ, that will be a matching size male hex. I had only the one small piece of 1-5/8" diameter round left. I had to take about .100" off the length to be sure that it will fit under the handlebar with the pins pressed in.
Thanks given by:
No indexing chuck? Might be a bit short. Easy do index the hex, and either that or x,y coords. Or do the holes first and screw it to a spud to mill the hex, then put the pins in. That is, if you don't mind the holes thru. I would. I have precisely one use for a collet block, and it was within the last 2 years, and it was a square one at that. I have no idea what the job was. LOL
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 06:22 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...I just can't believe I've not needed them until now. I thought for sure those collet blacks were something I bought for my dad or he bought himself. If one of us did, neither can recall and I can't find them...

I'll bet you lunch at your favourite Mexican restaurant that you find them within 60 minutes of bringing home a new one from Jeff (ask him about his return policy Big Grin).

I once spent the best part of two hours looking for the pin wrench for my 9" grinder and gave up and spent 10 minutes making one. I used it to remove the nut and when I reached down to pick up the one I just made I grabbed the one I had been looking for Slaphead

Interesting looking project - I look forward to seeing it progress. Perhaps a video of the process might be in order...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Tony,

I do own a "spindexer" and could probably avoid spending any money by using that to hold the piece. I'd just drop the knew a bit and mill the hex with the end of an end mill, then hold the hex in the vise for drilling and counterboring.

I suppose I'll just "git 'er dun" in that two-step manner.
Thanks given by:
http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=113
Thanks given by: