Holding small work pieces
Hi,

Have you made any fixtures for hold small items, round, square, rectangular for milling, lathe, or hand work.

One way I use to hold small items is leave it on the "stock piece" as long as possible, then most of the holding is done on the "stock piece" Smile

Show us what you useSmile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi Dave,

You're right. That's one lesson I learned the hard way, unfortunately. Blush

Bigger stock is a whole lot easier to hold for machining than small stock, for sure.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I use a 5c collet set up a lot for round parts. I have also machined a small "tit" to a piece and then threaded it. Screwed it in to a larger base material that I could clamp in a mill. Machine what I needed and the removed the threaded piece.
Thanks given by:
These little vices are great for holding small pieces, I've got the 25mm (1") version of the first ones on this page, and I just sit it in my normal milling vice on a pair of parallels.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/...hine-Vices

You can then swing about even large cutters with no problems at all.

[Image: Swingup44.jpg]

John
Thanks given by:
John,

I have one of those little vises but have never used it. I think I forgot I had it. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Now, to find where I put it. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
John,

Neat little vise Smile

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Add me to the little vice in the big vice group. Smiley-gen163

[Image: th_PC120108.jpg]

[Image: BHOA_modification.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

I never thought of putting the little vise in the big vise at an angle. That's a great idea! I see I've got a lot to learn, and that's OK. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-30-2012, 10:14 PM)EdAK Wrote: I see I've got a lot to learn, and that's OK. Smile

Ed

Ed,

Don't we all??? Smiley-eatdrink004

Do you have an angle plate set? If so, square up your part in the little vice first. Then just set your chosen angle plate in the bottom of your larger vice. Place the small vice on top of the angle plate and tighten down the large vice jaws. Then your work is already set to cut the angle you need. Smile
Willie
Thanks given by:
The small vise looks cute with the big stuff. Will not look as small on my sherline. Big Grin
Wongster
http://www.wongstersproduction.com

Proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by: